How can I get him to sleep through the night... again?

From the time my son was 4 months old he's always slept through the night. He's now 9 1/2 months and he wakes up crying between 3 and 5 am. He started this two weeks ago, the first week I let him sleep with us and put him back in his bed when I left for work. I stopped because I don't want him to get used to sleeping with us. When he does it now I just rock him back to sleep and pray he won't wake up when I put him in his crib. I wouldn't mind it but I got a new job which requires me to work at 8 every morning so... my question is, does anyone know any possible reasons why he's doing this and is there anything we can do, if there's anything. :)

nineteen84

Asked by nineteen84 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that too around that same age. I don't know why it happens really but he has gotten better over time. Just make sure that your son is fed and has a clean diaper on and is kept warm through the night. He may just be going through a growth spurt too? Or teething. I hope it gets better for you. My advise is not to pick him up when he wakes up if at all possible. Try soothing him back to sleep while he is still in his crib if that doesn't work then pick him up. You don't want him getting used to beng picked up just because he cried. Good luck! My son is almost 1 and is still occassionally waking up during the night hours and he began sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 months.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• He may be going threw a growth spurt and be hungary.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 8:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Growth spurts (cause hunger), milestones, separation anxiety, and teething...
    All of these things will cause a baby to wake in the night. If he is waking just once, you are fortunate. Don't expect a consistent sleeping pattern until age 3-5 years.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• He is probably going through a growth spurt or major developemental change; either way, he may be hungry or uncomfortable. Mommies are there to feed and comfort babies.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It is growth spurt time. And changes in sleeping patterns are normal.

Be businesslike about tending to his needs and putting him back to bed.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:43 PM on Dec. 22, 2009