Formula Intake?

My son will be 1 Jan 2. Up until a week ago he was taking between 4 and 6 bottles a day now its 3-5 bottles a day. ( I have tried and still am trying the sipping cup but he only will drink like 2 oz and wants the rest out of a bottle, especially when tired) My question is, how on earth do I cut his intake back? He is eating proportioned meals and snacks through out the day. I know they say that formula/breastmilk is suppose to be like the main source of food but shouldn't he be slowing down yet?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think that he should be eating more foods that drinking bottles at his age. It's more up to you since you regulate what he gets. I would just not make as many bottles; provide sippy cups, food and snacks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• start his transfer to milk, if you feel comfortable. imo he is old enough to start the transfer. its not like the day he turns one its magically okay to give milk. as long as he is normal, healthy, not premature, and whatnot, i would start. maybe start getting the formula made for 9-24 month olds. that has more nutrients and vitamins and whatnot in the same amount of formula. personally i think a year old is too old for a bottle, but my oldest stopped taking a bottle at 10 months. he ONLY wanted the sippy. i would throw out most of the bottles and ONLY use sippys during the day and leave the bottle for bed time, if he still gets it at night. if not then id leave the bottle for his last drink of the night and leave it at that. again ONLY my opinion though.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Take away the bottle... i know its hard but my daughter is 1 year on jan 10... i know i'm going to have to stop the bottle and just give the sippy cup.. you can let him have more watered down juice now..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009