USPSTF evolving in the HCR bills

Under the health-reform legislation in the Senate and House, the USPSTF panel's ratings would serve as the basis for determining which preventive services the government would require insurance plans to cover at little or no cost to patients.

The bill would expand the membership from 16 to 30 and would require a broader array of expertise, including specialists in women's health, geriatrics and health disparities.

The task force would also be designated as an official federal advisory panel, which would make its activities subject to federal laws requiring they be more public. The legislation would also create a "stakeholders board" that the panel would be required to consult; the board would include representatives from the public, disease advocacy groups and the insurance industry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/19/AR2009121902280.html

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Science and the public both benefit from increased transparency, and conducting business behind closed doors only adds to the perception that special interests will have an undue influence," Waxman said. "That is why I believe that the proceedings of the task force should be open to the public whenever possible."

So, if I understand this correctly, the Preventive Services Task Force should conduct everything possible in the public's eye, no closed doors here. But when it comes to the Senate itself, it is a completely different story. Closed doors are good for the Senate. Can you say "Hypocrit", Mr Waxman????
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Sorry, Crissy, that didn't really answer your question, but that quote just didn't sit well with me. I think the best thing about it is that they want to expand the panel to 30 members. But, I only want my own doctor deciding what treatment to give me, not a group of 30 people who have no idea who I am, or what I do. I still see it as the beginning of rationing, and I don't think it will get any better, no matter how much they expand the panel, or what kind of experts are on the panel.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• 29, politicians motto do as I say not as I do ;o)
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I don't see any good coming from that. About 5 years ago I was seriously sick, to the point that I was throwing up blood. I went to the ER, they poked and prodded and gave me 8 different meds to fix all the symptoms. I left with 2 prescriptions to get filled, one to address the nausea and one that was a prescription strength antacid. Insurance refused to pay for the antacid because I didn't try an over the counter one first. The person who made that call did not have a medical degree, did not even consider the fact that I had a torn esophagus and was puking blood because of it. They just had a checklist of recommendations, and that checklist specified that I could not be covered for the prescription meds unless I had a medical history showing I'd taken over the counter for at least a week and it didn't work. It took 2 days of phone calls to get it fixed. Doesn't matter how big the panel is if a clerk makes the call.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Hmmm, EVERYTHING this administration does is so upfront and honest, so transparent, wow, they have done so much for us! (yeah right! / much sarcasm)

NO thanks, this panel will probably consist of people like Cass Sunstein, who wants to give our pets the right to sue us. Geez, most likely "the panel" is just more jobs created for the left's buddies, oh how nice for them but that is them and what they do, jmo

And a big problem I can see is; when a person is sick & needs medical intervention immediately, how long will it take for "THE PANEL" to get back to us, can't you just see it? TAKE A NUMBER!!! And hear it too, Oh, you have Cancer, bummer, don't call us we will call you, when your number comes up, take care now...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You apparently don't pay attention, there is NO PRBLIC OPTION in the bill
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• 7:40 who is dumb enough not to KNOW they will add whatever the hell they want later down the road if possible?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

There is a large chunk of house Dems that have publicly stated on multiple occasions they will not pass a bill with no public option. The senate and house still have to reconcile their bills, and it has to pass again in the house, before it is officially done. But aside from that, these guidelines have nothing to do with a public option - this is the same thing as the "no mammograms under 50." It's a "suggestion" but it's a "suggestion" that gives insurance companies free reign to exclude coverage or only offer partial payment for individual treatments. It's already happening - in the bill (that one that you know so well you are positive it will never have a PRBLIC option) the recommendations of this committee are being used to reduce medicaid coverage of mammograms. People who get them free now will have to pay for them after the bill.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2009