what would you have done?

I went to a family christmas today and when I went downstairs to check on my 3y/o I saw that my 12 year old brother was watching american pie. First of all I think 12 is too young and second of all I know my 3 year old is way too young. I was mad.

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mad. very mad. I also don't believe a 12 year old should be watching American pie... when dealing with one owns parents things can be sticky, I have no advice. I would have caused a great deal of uproar with my parents about their parenting skills... but Please take no offense that is what I would do because that movie is WAY to sexual for a 12 year old comprehend
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would have said something to my parents, as well. I mean seriously? A 12yr old watching that movie is terrible. And the fact that YOUR child was present...uh yeah I would let it be known that I don't agree, nor appreciate it being watched in front of your child.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 1:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My youngest is a year away from high school graduation and my older two kids are both in their twenties. I have one son and two daughters. I have to disagree with first poster in that I don't think it's too sexual for a 12 year old to comprehend. Not in todays world in this country.

I would handle it such that my brother (which is a heck of a lot easier to confront and deal with than a nephew or younger brother in law) ... I would speak with the brother and tell him if he's old enough to watch that crap then he should know that his niece or nephew is too young to partake in viewing it. If you catch him again at least with your baby around tell him you'll beat his behind.

For good measure throw fear into him and tell him if you should find out that he's pulled your child into watch it or something similar ever, you'll have to report him. Seriously if your baby picked up on any that stuff you would look close at brother.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:14 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I too would bring it up with my parents and let them know of their parenting skills needing to be refined. i too disagree that a 12 yr old cant comprehend that movie. i knew what sex was at that age. but im not sure that 1st poster meant it that way. but anyways. i also agree that if he thinks, or your parents think, that hes old enough to watch it, then hes old enough to know that is NOT suitable for a 3 yr old. i would have ranted and raved at him AND my parents, for a LONG while. my "little" brother is now 19 and hes watched some violent movies infront of my 3 yr old, and he isnt the smartest guy in the world, thats for sure, but im pretty sure he knows that a 3 yr old can NOT watch a rated R movie. i FLIPPED on him for it. and yes, i still told my mom, as he still lives at home. BUT STILL!! I honestly would have completely over reacted and said some hurtful and crazy things just to get my point completely across!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• yea a 12 year old is gunna know about sex. but not the gravity of the consequences is more so what I meant. =)
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• First, YOU are not his mother and YOU do NOT get to decide what is ok for him to watch or not to watch. Second, my 13 yr old has seen all the American Pie movie (numerous times) and it has opened communication between my son and I. We openly talk about sex, responsibility, respect and the fact that not all kids his age are allowed to watch these movies and that he is not to talk about what we discuss in school. He is lucky that I am an open mom and answer his questions without freaking out and thinking he is some kind of monster for being a developmentally appropriate teenager. You DO have the right to talk WITH your brother about how he needs to turn the movie off or bring your child to you so he can continue watching the movie. You can also tell him that if he has any questions he can ask. But in the end, it is your parents job to raise him and you need to stay out of that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it. Yeah, I think 12 is too young to be watching it, but you know what? There's always going to be the kid, whether he's family or not, that's introducing your kid to stuff that you think he's too young for (and yes, 3 is definitely too young for it, but I doubt at 3 your child understood any of the movie anyway). Tell your family that next time you're all together you'd like a rule enforced like, "if a movie's being watched, come up and tell everyone what it is so we can be sure everyone can watch it." I'm sure there will be some arguments at some point but at least you'll know whats going on.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You can't control what your brother watches..that's up to mom and dad...and American Pie isn't that bad..not at the top of my list but not the end of the world either.

I would have just said to my brother "Hey ?, this is probably not the best movies to watch with ? can you watch it later and put something on the ? will like" and left it alone. The 3 year old would not understand most of what was in it..so it's not that big of a deal.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:26 PM on Dec. 22, 2009