At what age should a child get their own room?

Every since my son was born he has slept in the same room (often in the same bed) as my husband and I. He is 19 months. We now live in a two bedroom apartment but my sister will be moving out leaving her room free. Is he two young to give him his own room?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 1:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not at all!! i would start this ASAP!!! its going to be tough for about the first week or so because he is so use to co sleeping... if you dont already have one, invest in a baby monitor so you can hear him wake up in the morning. baby proof the hallway (like the doorknob locks, and closet locks, at least one baby gate, outlet plugs if you dont already have them, and the door stoppers that prevent pinched fingers) so that when he does wake up and you dont hear him one morning, he can come to you. he is definitaly old enough to have his own room... good luck though!!! i hear its hard to transfer, but idk because my son has pretty much always had his own room since my room was too small when he was born.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think we did it around 3yrs old. but around 2 I started working on grtting them to sleep on a crib mattress beside the bed. After you get them used to that start moving it further and further from your bed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would start by moving most of your son's things (a little at a time) into his new room. Then once everything is moved, then his bed could go in there too, and to celebrate you might have a 'sleep over' where you all spend the night in his room... just make sure he knows the reason for the sleep over, and that it is only for this special occasion.

It might take a while to transition, but if you make his 'new' room a place for him to feel safe and happy* it should be easier.

*For example: don't send him to his room for being 'naughty'.
    J1nx

Answer by J1nx at 2:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• JEEZ NO!

J was in her own room at 4 months.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Do it whenever you & (especially) your son are ready. Different kids need different things at different points in their lives- no 2 are the same. Listen to your heart and your baby. You will know when it's the right time :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• From the time I was pregnant our Son had a room set up. But until he was 2 months old I let him sleep with me. It was hard getting him into his own room but by 3 months he was in a crib in his nursery. Our next child will be in his/her own room from birth. As long has you have baby monitors and can hear whats going on, and you keep their crib safe ---no choking hazzards or toys, etc in it. Then it is perfectly fine.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• lots of people have their kids in their own room from birth. my son has slept in his own room since he was about 5 months old. and some share room with parents or siblings until they are much older. it's just what works best for your family, but no i don't think he's too young :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son has been in his own room from day one.... he's 17 months old.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2009