how do you control your temper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm going to assume you mean with kids. I don't really ever lose my temper with my son, two reasons. One, life is short and I could lose him so quickly, he is my everything and is so precious to me. Two, the little things that kids do are so trivial in life. I have a little boy to love, and a house to live in, food to eat. Who cares about anything else? None of it is important.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 2:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• walk away. not completely out of sight but walk away from the scene and do the dishes or pick up around the house. That's what I do. I get so frustrated when DS doesn't want to eat, but I need to remember it's ok!

And with SO, I stay quiet and also walk away or else I'll say or do something I will regret later. I used to let my temper control me until I had too many regrets because of it. You need to give yourself some time out.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Walk away, take a deep breath. Realize that they are children and you are the adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I have anger issues and I used to get so mad I'd shake and throw stuff.

To help it I exercise twice daily, try not to eat too much sugar, and I will walk away if I feel myself getting mad and sometimes put my son somewhere safe and go to the basement and tear paper while I chant that "calm is good" for a couple minutes. Then I return a happy mommy, and if I'm not 100% happy I will sometimes sit and name all the things I love about him and soon find myself happy again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I stop and take a few deep breaths. If that doesnt work then I walk out of the room for a moment.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I try to consider what I am doing. Then I do some slow breathing. I clamp my mouth shut so I won't say something I'll regret later.

Answer by Bmat at 2:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Count to ten, take deep breaths and regroup!

Answer by older at 2:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• oh crap, I'm supposed to control that? Probably NOT gonna happen depending on what made me angry to begin with

Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• To the first response, you must have a perfect little angel dont you? Not bashing but i have one too. He is my first born, sweet as can be. My second child is a little more hyper and clingy. Makes you want to jump out of a window lol. I usually just take time to myself for a few minutes in another room. It does get hard but instead of getting angry, i cry than i feel much better.
    Anonymous

• No I don't have a perfect little angel. My son is a typical two year old, oh and he has ADHD symptoms. He's a very loud person and won't feed himself.
    I've been married to an abusive man, laid in a hospital bed being told I was going to die at any moment. I've had a lot of bad things happen and have been very sick. Its only been within the last few months that the doctors tell me I will live to be an old woman. As my brother says; If you can't breathe, nothing else matters.
    All those little things that usually make people mad seem so unimportant. When my son would wake in the middle of the night it would make my husband mad, but I'm just glad that I am here and capable of getting up with him. For six months I wasn't really able to get out of bed. So every moment in my life seems like a blessing to me. Even the bad ones. Because at least I'm here and at least I can be a mommy again.
    Sorry for stealing your post OP. :)
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 4:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2009