How can I get my 10mo to take medicine?

He spits his meds out everytime, I need him to take them so his ear infection will heal up.

momoftatertots

Asked by momoftatertots at 8:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have the pacifier medicine droppers if your son will take a paci. If not, you can draw it up into a syringe dropper, put the syringe on the inside of their cheek while reclining them in your lap, squirt the medicine into their mouth and then blow in their face - it makes them swallow.

Answer by missanc at 11:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If it's liquid medicine, try to mix it in his formula, breast milk, or in his baby food.   I had to do the same thing when my son had ear infection and had to take medicine

mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• this sounds horrible, but i would just hold DD down. If she spit some of it up, i would give her a bit more. DH used to give it too her & them put his hand over her mouth to ensure she swallowed it, but i could not do that. It just seemed wrong to me to place my hand over her mouth. It did work though....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• they have a passy that you can put the meds in and that helps some times. I have seen my aunt put it in her kids mouth and then blow in their face. But i have seen the blowing in the face done if a baby is crying alot. it gets them to take a breathand sometimes calms them.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I always mixed mine in their milk.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Missanc's answer is a great one. I also found that if you got the dropper far back enough in the cheek, there was NO WAY it could be spit out.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:40 PM on Dec. 22, 2009