What is the difference between "baby" yogurt and regular yogurt?

I know that is kind of a stupid question but I have no idea other than baby yougurt is way more expensive!!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 8:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's usually whole milk yogurt & it's usually organic & has WAAAY less sugar in it.

Pretty much, it's fattier but healthier for the baby.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The add sweeteners. And it's more expensive.
    There are NO benefits to giving your baby "baby yogurt" over plain natural yogurt.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I dunno. I do know the difference between yogurt and the yogurt blends. The blends have less sugar in them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• As long as the yogurt has live cultures and does not have gelatin or high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors, and is made with rbgh-free milk, it is fine for your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Well i still buy "yobaby" yogurt. And it has much less sugar in it that all the other brands on the market. AND it is whole milk yogurt so it has all the fats that a baby needs. I don't find it to be much more expensive, and it also has a much wider variety of probiotics in it.

SO, some baby yogurts are a bit more healthy than, for instance the "trix" fruity kids yogurt that has virtually no nutritional value.

Plain whole milk yogurt w/ a bit of honey is the best bet IMO.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Baby yogurt is made of whole milk. It contains only natural sugars. why b/c children age 1- 4 need whole milk the fat helps their bodies complete mylenization of the nervous system. Natural sugar b/c saccarine(sp?) and unnatural sugars are linked to cancer. children under 5 have rapidly developing and maturing systems so the effects of un natural sugar are more potent to them then to others.
    ok one last thing DO NOT GIVE a child under 12 months 'baby yogurt' or honey without consulting your pediatrician first ... children under 1 do not have the bacteria in their gut needed to break down whole milk products yet... some docs are ok with it once the child has broken 12 pounds and 6 months old?? honey has ALOT of bacteria like botulizem in it ... in NY the recommendation is no honey until 24 months
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I've always just given my kids regular, full fat yogurt. A lot of times foods marketed to babies / toddlers are more expensive, but there isn't really anything special about them (except formula). Just the usual plain, full fat yogurt is fine for babies. I think Yobaby is organic, so that's probably why it's so expensive. You might be able to find a cheaper organic brand if you are into organic food.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son always ate the regular, full fat yogurt unless a "baby" brand happened to be on sale. My older kids eat yogurt as well, so it makes sense for us to buy it in bulk. And you can get yogurt without added sugar - just buy plain yogurt and add your own fruit instead of getting flavored yogurts - much healthier that way!

Answer by missanc at 11:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I get baby yogurt because all the other yogurts are non-fat and have splenda or whatever fake sugar. I would buy regular yogurt but I just can't find it.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I guess I would just second many of the ladies and get plain, whole-milk yogurt. Put some fresh (or frozen) fruit in it. Yummy treat with no "extras" that aren't needed.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009