When you are invited to a housewarming party, do you bring a gift? Or food and drink to be consumed there?

In NY there was a question about this on a radio station. They commented that people are making registries for housewarming parties. Tacky...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For a regular party I usually bring wine, for housewarming a gift of some sort, usually something for the house, nice dish towels or glasses! Tacky IMOP to register!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You buy a gift. I usually buy something like a nice candle ot a plant.

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yes,you bring a gift. I do agree that a registry for housewarming is both tacky and greedy. Yikes...
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Gift

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That is very tacky to register, I wouldn't go to a party where people just wanted gifts. For me it depends on the party, if the hostess asks me to bring food I do. I also generally take a bottle of wine. Other things I take if I'm not taking food are: flowers or plants, candles, pretty decorative soaps for the bathroom. If it's a seasonal party, maybe a Christmas decoration or some Christmas dish towels or a candy dish or a box of nice candy. For people I know that like teas or coffee, I might take a can of nice tea or a bag of good coffee.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 9:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I don't think you should come to a house party empty handed. I would either call ahead and ask what you can bring or show up with wine or flowers or a small gift like a candle (I like the last poster's idea of tea or coffee) or something. If its someone really special to you you could bring a bigger gift but don't give it in front of other guests--it'll embarass everyone. As for registering? No, that is over the top. Of course I have heard of registries for 5 year-old's birthday parties so I guess there is no limit to the tackiness some people perpetuate these days. :)
    Jemma4000

Answer by Jemma4000 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• For a housewarming I bring a plant.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The last time we moved and had a house warming party we got gifts and we got food and wine for the party. I would never, ever register for a housewarming gift. It sounds tacky. We had a party because we wanted to share our happiness not because we could use a little more bread and salt or another ficus.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Can you have a house warming party a year and a half after you moved in? lol. I never got any house warming gifts!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2009