Is it tacky to send where you are registered with invitations?

I have been getting a slew of invitations, wedding, baby shower and even a bachlorette party with the names of where people are registered at. I even got one that said in lieu of gifts the couple would like money? It has been a LONG time since I got married, but I always thought this was a big NO NO--is it? The only one that really bugged me was the CASH invite, but I thought it was proper NOT to do this? Any thoughts?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You want tacky, I'll give you tacky! My gf sent out her invites with where she was registered. On top of that she and her DH wrote on the invite that they request all guests bring a dish to pass, and their own table service, and to please include a recipe of the dish you bring to give to the bride. To add insult to injury they got married on the 4th of July weekend...because no one has plans on the 4th of July, and added a computer printed card telling all guests that they and I quote "love money too"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• if you don't send it in the invite then how will people know where you are registered? the stores give them to you to put in the invitation?? I dont know I'd rather get someone something they want then pick something I like and waste the money??
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think it's pretty common to do this. It takes the guess work out of what the couple, baby, or bride really needs and wants. You should put the registry on the invitation. However, I would never ask for cash. People already know that anyone can use cash. You will get cash whether you ask for it or not.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I just recently got married and I was told not to put it in the invite to the wedding, only in the shower invite. So it depends on what kind of invite you are sending out. wedding .. no. shower for baby or wedding yes.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Not the cash part, but letting people know where you are registered is very common.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It's not tacky to tell people where you are registered for a shower. Otherwise, how will they know what to get you?Wedding invitation, yes that is tacky. Asking for cash instead of gifts is also tacky I think.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Not for a shower. For the wedding - yes, tacky (also for your child's birthday party unless you're sending the invite to family - random school classmates don't care). I don't understand the "in lieu of gifts" bit, because from what I've seen over the years, hardly anyone gives wedding presents anymore - a few people do, usually homemade ones like wedding samplers and quilted photo albums - but the majority just throw an envelope with a check in the birdcage and are done with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yes, it is tacky.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It is more common, but it is still tacky. People are supposed to ask where you are registered when they call to RSVP. Of course, so many people don't have the courtesy to even do that, so therein lies the problem.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:22 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You want tacky, I'll give you tacky!

I think I'd go to that wedding just for the sheer entertainment value - sounds like watching that Redneck Wedding show
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 AM on Dec. 21, 2009