Getting 1yr old to drink milk

My son is 11 1/2 months. At 12 months he is supposed to come off formula and have cows milk. As an infant he was switch to Similac Isomil Soy. ---It was in attempts to find out why he always seemed constipated and cried constantly. Later it was known he had colic. But we let him stay on Soy. Doctor thought it was best for his tummy anyway for his situation b/c he had issues with formula since i had to stop nursing.

Now sometimes I try to introduce him to Milk and he wont have it. I even put chocolate in it one day in a cup in hopes of intresting him. --nothing.

What am i gonna do in less then a month when he gets no more fomula??

Super09Mom

Asked by Super09Mom at 9:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Will he drink soy milk? I put 1/2 formula and 1/2 cow's milk in DS's bottle, and it worked, but he maybe lactose intolerant....I find it odd not even chocolate? I would try the 1/2 and 1/2, and worse case scenario they make a toddler formula, but I think it is kind of a gimmick, but if he will drink it , you might try it! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• yogurt, cheese, almonds, when you make pancakes use milk instead of water to make the batter, also do not give your almost 12 mo whole milk now please wait look up online the devastating effect of NEC necrotizing enterocolitis... Iknow the risk is low at 11 months but why take the chance?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Some kids just don't like milk. I was one of them. I don't recall EVER drinking a glass of milk in my life. My son will drink it but my girls won't. They get it other ways like yogurt and cheese.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• 1. Transfer GENTLY i.e. 1/4 milk the rest formula stay like that for a few days then move up the amount little bits at a time.
    .
    BTW, if he needed special form he may have reactions to milk to little bits at a time would be a good way to monitor him --

2, you may up on soy (although i'd suggest another plant based milk (rice/hemp/almond milk) instead of soy b/c of issues with too much soy -- messes w/hormone balance) or even try goats milk -- very common/good for kids with cow's milk issues and the old time way.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• MELRN - His doctor told me i could start subbing it in at 11m a few times a week. That is was ok for him. I have done research too. And I wouldnt do anything without his peds ok.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I put a teaspoon of splenda and banana flavoring in my dd's milk. Her favorite thing to eat was bananas at the time so I went with it. Now that crazy child begs for milk. She also was put on soy formula after I stopped breastfeeding. After formula I put her on soy milk and slowly faded it out with the banana milk. Then I slowly used less flavoring and sugar till she started drinking straight milk.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 11:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• try mixing it half and half with his formula (that's what we did with my 4th and it worked). Also - my 2nd and 3rd have never liked milk and never drink it. They do eat yogurt and cheese, so I don't worry about it too much. As long as they are getting dairy, it doesn't really matter if they drink milk.

Answer by missanc at 11:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Definitely don't add any chocolate again. If he ends up liking it that will be the only way you get him to drink it, which is not good for him. Kids don't need milk as much as society would like us to think they do. As long as he gets plenty of calcium and Vit. D elsewhere he will be fine. You can, however, try just adding a bit of milk gradually to his formula until it is all milk and he shouldn't even notice. No sugar, choc, etc should be added to the milk. They don't need the milk bad enough to start them on bad habits! And you CAN still use formula. My son is 2 and has never had a glass of milk. He still gets formula (he can't drink cow's milk or soy milk) They make toddler formulas you can use, but infant formula is perfectly fine for a 1 year old to continue to use.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 2:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009