Early Intervention?

What is the first visit like? Are they judgemental about the house? The house is clean but cluttered and not child proof.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm a little lost. Who is coming to your house to do an "early intervention"??????? Are you struggling with addiction?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• OP- for speech problems for my 20 month old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• oh I see. My son is a four-year-old and has a speech delay. I declined the in-home evaluation, but I will tell you they are just there to see how they interact in their own environment. They are not concerned with your house unless it is just blatently bad. Sometimes kids wont let their true skills and abilities apparent in a classroom setting. They are there to evaluate the child they aren't cps.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I used to do early intervention home visits, believe me we are not worried about your house. We would observe toys on the floor being a good thing, meaning your child has age appropriate toys to play with. We appreciate having a clear space on the floor to sit down and interact with your child, as well as cleared off adult seating so we can talk to you when we are done. Other than that, we are there for you and for your child, not to snoop on the state of your home.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• no, they will not judge you as long as your house is CLEAN.

they are not there to judge you, but to help your child. i never "baby-proofed" as i feel that if a child is supervised, they learn what is and is NOT to be touched... i do not believe in allowing them to touch everything in sight, since it lends to their belief that EVERYTHING is a toy... that said, you are not the only non baby-proofing mom... don't worry about it. ok?

my sis went through the same thing with her middle child, and many, many, many home visits later, guess what? they never judged how cluttered, or organized, or clean her home was- just that the children were well cared for.
    i know you're nervous, but you shouldn't be- its fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My house tends to have lots of "stuff" because I have 4 kids. When early intervention came to my home recently they didn't comment on any of it - I'm sure they've seen worse! I had cleared out the living room floor with the exception of the toys in his toybox so we had room to "play" (although they brought most of their own toys to evaluate with). They were not judgemental at all, very nice, and I was very at ease with them. They go into all types of home environments! Good luck with your son!

Answer by missanc at 11:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• WAIT!!!
    Do NOT worry about your 20 month old with speech!!! They will talk when they are ready. My son is 31 months old & still doesn't use a lot of 'people' words. He communicates very well, we understand him and he understands us. Early Intervention at this age is NOT necessary. It makes me so sad that people think just becasue our kids aren't all advancing at the same time that there is something wrong with them.

We went through this... We first had a visit from a home worker, then her again a week later, then in the same week her supervisor, then a teem to evaluate my son, then another from the worker followed by her supervisor again... it is TOO MUCH. They told us that we should go to speech therapy, and also in the same sentence how intelligent he was.. no signs of autism, no signs of developmental delay (in fact, he was way ahead in most areas), just that he wasn't using 'real' words much. SO WHAT??? He is a baby!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:53 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• As long as it's tidy and not trashed. You're a good mom, it sounds like, so whatever you think is right, they will too! Just don't leave the TV on when they come over. I've heard that's what some moms do and hmmm...i wonder why they don't talk? but my son is 2.5 and only says like 3-4 words. he is pretty good at communicating though. so good luck on your son!
    TBSNBubblegum

Answer by TBSNBubblegum at 1:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I disagree with RutterMama. What works for one child may not work for another. If Early Intervention has been recommended by someone who actually knows your child (i..e you or your doctor), go for it. The home visits are very simple (we had one evaluation session and one planning session) and totally non-judgemental. At 18 months my son said nothing. He's been in EI for a little over a year and has made wonderful progress. A little extra help can't hurt!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Professionals are trained in evaluating kids with delays. Yes kids learn at different paces, but there are signs that are evident to professionals and there is NOTHING wrong with getting your child started in early intervention. It is basically play time for them anyway, with the added bonus of doing constructive work along with the play. We've had my son in IE since he was 18 months. He had a 50% delay in his expressive communication and has made huge leaps and bounds since working with the speech therapists. He ENJOYS his visits with them. Don't let anyone tell you it's not necessary if you feel it is. After all, they are the professionals, not people here on CM that think their kids are absolutely perfect and nothing could ever be wrong with their development.

Anyway, they do not care about your house as long as it is a suitable living condition (clean, safe, etc). It does not have to be spotless.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009