What is a good drink for a one-year-old?

I know water is good and I've been trying herbal tea, but it's not a succes. I'm afraid she doesn't drink enough.

MumbyGrace

Asked by MumbyGrace at 10:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• water. water. water... it will only work if that is the only thing you provide her with. simple as that.

try mixing juice & water @ a 4-1 ratio.

my kids also like herbal teas- brewed strong & serves cold. most of the berry/citrus/apple/spice flavors do not need to be sweetened at all, because they contain a small amount of licorice root to help perk the flavors and make it sweeter.

"flavored" waters are a no no, they contain artificial sweeteners...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• real fruit juice, milk- dd ped started to have me put her on whole milk at this age.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Water, whole milk, and some juice should cover it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• WATER!!!! Juice at a 4:1 ratio (all natural juice) Whole Milk

Go by how much she pee's in terms of whether she's getting enough liquids. Everybody's needs are diff and with kids they change from week to week according to what their body is doing right now.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Water or breastmilk are the best things. Juice is ok too, but make sure you do not over do it - 1 cup a day is more than enough
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• water, milk, watered down 100% juice. Don't worry too much about the amount of fluids as long as she's not dehydrated and is peeing. Chances are she's getting enough nutrients via the foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Water!
    If you choose to give juice, make sure it is 100% juice and dilute it at least 80% with water. Tea is not very good for babies. The caffeine alone is not necessary.
    My 2 1/2 year old gets Milk for breakfast (1 cup of whole milk) and water the rest of the day - NOTHING else. He has been on this since about 13 months when we halted the breast milk.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yeah, my only concern with tea is the caffeine. That would freak me out. If it truly is caffeine-free, I would think tea is fine (depending on what herbs you are using for it, many herbs have chemicals in them that the body reacts to). Otherwise, water, milk and watered-down juice (as a treat).

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i AGREE KEEP AN EYE ON WHAT HERBAL TEAS YOUR GIVING YOUR CHILD. sOME HERBS ARE BAD IN LARGE QUANTITIES AND SO THE SIZE OR A ON EYEAR OLD WILL BE VERY SMALL AS IS THE CAFFINE.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My DD only drinks water, she refuses everything else. This was a problem because we had to get calcium in her, luckily she likes cheese and yogurt. All beverages to me seem to be empty calories, except milk. I'd save juice for when she's sick and needs the sugar boost. Juice is really just crack for babies.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009