Can contact lenses correct your vision to the degree that glasses do?

My daughter is trying them out and she says they are not as effective as her glasses. She is planning to tell the doctor that her permanent prescription needs to be stronger but a friend of hers told her that she was never able to get the results from contacts that she had with glasses. What are the differences as you all have experienced them.

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 10:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• The prescription for contacts is slightly different than the one for glasses since they are directly on the eye and dont' have to correct as much as the glasses. I found my contacts to be just as effective as my glasses. If I could afford the one-use contacts, I would go back to contacts.

A few things to consider.....If she has astigmatism, contacts won't work well, even the ones made for astigmatism are odd because they float and settle every time she blinks. ........The cleaning solution can cause problems. My eyes are allergic to all of them except the straight saline (which is why I want the one-day contacts). . . . ... If they are not super-clean, they will not work as well.

One more thing... my optometrist would always give me a sample pair of contacts to try for 2 weeks to see if I like them before ordering up a six-month supply. Some contacts fit better than others. She may need to try another brand.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• when i first got the trial pairs of contacts from walmart, they werent my actual prescription. a lot of times they carry trial pairs for some prescriptions, but wont have all of them. maybe thats what she got? when i had my permanent pairs, they worked as well as my glasses did. i would just say something to the Dr. they may have gotten the prescription not quite right.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I wore them for 20 yrs and my contacts were better to see out of than my glasses. It doesn't sound like she has the correct prescription.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My contacts have always worked as well as my glasses. A lot of times I prefer them. I would suggest going to a different doctor. I went to one once that gave me a bad prescription. Sometimes, a good doctor will make all the difference in the world. Yes, the prescription for contacts and glasses are different. Hope you didn't use the RX for the glasses to get the contacts filled by mistake.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I got LASIK in 2007. I used to wear contact lenses, and I saw better out of them than I did with my glasses. I rarely wore my glasses because I never felt like my vision was perfectly corrected, even with the correct prescription, and I hated that I had almost zero peripheral vision. If she's not seeing as well out of contacts, it might be because of an astigmatism or because she wasn't given the right type of lens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I have astigmatism in my right eye and love my contacts over my glasses.

The only thing I have found with my contacts is my toric lens (the one made for astigmatism) dries out a bit faster than my regular lens.

Have her definitely contact the eye doctor again.

Good luck to your daughter.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 12:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Thanks for all the input. She does have astigmatism. I should have stated that. She wants the improved peripheral vision of contacts. I also should have stated, she's eighteen years old, in case that makes any difference. The brand is Toric.
    I wondered whether these temporaries are the same as her real prescription. She'll be keeping her appointment on Friday. One of her practice lenses tore and she can't go back to get another during this week because she started a new job today and is committed every day through Thursday during office hours.
    Thanks again.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2009