What to do about re-occuring Pink Eye?

My son first had pink eye at 18 months. I didn't really notice him getting it constantly until he was probably three. He's four now, and he usually gets it one or sometimes two times a month. If I miss any eye drops, I give them to him a day or so longer just to be sure I gave him enough drops. Kinda hard sometimes to remember to give him all three drops each day. But he's been getting it so often that I make sure I give it to him correctly. It says to give the drops 7-10 days, so I've been giving them to him for 10 days in hopes that he will finally be rid of it. I told the pediatrician, so we went in the other day, but they didn't know what to do. They want us to go to an opthalmologist who will probably want to see him the next time he has it. I'm not sure if it has always been in his left eye, but the last three times have been in that eye. Just so happens that eye had a clogged tear duct as a baby that went away

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• CLEAN YOUR HOUSE.

that is how he is getting reinfected. every light switch, bed rail, banister, door frame, walls below 3 feet, tables, chairs, every toy, stuffed animal, cabinet/drawer handle, EVERYTHING.

until you get the house clean, he will simply continue to reinfect his self... and as hard as it MAY be to remember the drops, you must. set an alarm to go off (use your cell phone) three time each day- that should fix THAT problem.
    also, use warm water & a cotton ball to clear the gunk out of his eye several times each day- conjunctivitis is such an easily spread infection, you don't want to share it with every one else!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:31 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Sounds like he keeps reinfecting himself, they can make stronger drops to give him, and if need be, have him wear a "pirate patch" so he keeps his fingers out of it, clean any stuffed animals, blankets, sheets etc.... DS has a eye infection that was NOT pink eye, they did a swab and sent it to the lab, only to find out it was a form of shingles...any blisters or red bumps? Good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If cleaning is the answer, why are the rest of us not getting it? He has a 23 month old sister who has only had it twice. Nope, no bumps or blisters. I change his bedding every week and have already changed his pillow case again this week while it has been clearing up.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Call the ophthalmologist they want you to see. Maybe they'll want to see him sooner rather than when it happens again.

I hope it clears up permanently this time around.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 12:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• depends on what is causing it. Have him checked for allergies. That type of pink eye is not contageous. Check out this site. http://www.medicinenet.com/pink_eye/page2.htm I would definately have it investagated farther as there can be an underlying cause that needs to be treated. If it's bacterial, the bacterial eye drops will keep it from spreading after about a day of treatments. I suppose it's also possible he is getting repeated bacterial infections in the sinus areas that are spreading to his eyes. Again, would still want to get it checked so you can find out the underlying cause. IF it's just allergies, then that might make it easy to treat.
    Anonymous