Should I kill him or just ignore him? Mr. Sucking the joy out of Christmas...

My DH is the black hole of dismal dispair around Christmas - Bad childhood, alcoholic father, terrible Christmas memories...you get it.
Ok here is the problem, he is 40 years old and EVERY Christmas he becomes ..well...EYEORE!!! We have been blessed with a beautiful 7 month old baby girl and this is her first Christmas ( I know she is too young to know but I do) and we will have his 12 year old daughter too. I am about to kill him - he is ruining my Christmas joy - I do not want him to be this way for the kids....

Any suggestions as to how I can snap him out of it? Any one in the same boat?? Thanks!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 10:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• He must of really had a bad childhood to still be like this at his age. But honestly it is time for him to deal with his feelings. He has a child now and needs to understand that Christmas is a happy time for him and his family. He needs to address his issues and deal with them. And is his name Ron? That is flipping funny because my Grinch is too! LMAO
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:26 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Kill him lol
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• OP: LOL! Nyx7 - that was my original idea but I guess my Baby girl does need a non-incarcerated Mommy!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If you kill him, make sure you get rid of his teeth and destroy his finger prints, so you don't get in trouble. A much easier solution would be to just ignore him and kill him with holiday cheer instead. Tell him to lighten up. You can also suck up by taking him out to dinner and giving him lots of sex. Whatever you decide to do, it would be good to be compassionate towards his feelings and just love the big lug anyway ;)
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• God, lowen has watch to much TV! LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• There's not a lot you can do besides drown him in Christmas cheer. He may still suck the life out of you. My suggestion is to put an invisible, protective bubble around yourself, your baby, your home, pray a lot (or whatever you do) and carry on. Do not allow him to steal your shine and magic of the holidays. Shine on Momma!!!
    qtnfluffy

Answer by qtnfluffy at 11:00 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Don't drown him in xmas cheer...he might get moodier. Talk to him about it. Tell him to move on. That might sound insensitive, but I went through the same thing when I was younger and I don't let it spoil everything for everyone around me. He's an adult now, with children of his own and he needs to recognize that the world doesn't revolve him and his bad memories. There is nothing worse than a Debbie Downer.

On the other hand, aren't you glad you didn't marry a Clark Griswald??
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:09 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Op: MH Mama - LOL! I would take a Griswald right about now.......... He won't talk about it, he chooses not to get over it and yes to all those who are wondering he IS on medication and he does see a therapist. He apparently likes to wallow in his own self pity. I know that sounds harsh but right now I thik he is the most selfish person alive!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• LOL... yea it sounds like killing him is the only option at this point...lol... Nah, how about christmas activities, or getting him to help out with decorating and baking special stuff to get him into the spirit of things... Good Luck :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• maybe some christmas ghost might come visit him...
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2009