Married to the Grinch? I am!

Should I kill him or just ignore him? Mr. Sucking the joy out of Christmas...

My DH is the black hole of dismal dispair around Christmas - Bad childhood, alcoholic father, terrible Christmas memories...you get it.
Ok here is the problem, he is 40 years old and EVERY Christmas he becomes ..well...EYEORE!!! We have been blessed with a beautiful 7 month old baby girl and this is her first Christmas ( I know she is too young to know but I do) and we will have his 12 year old daughter too. I am about to kill him - he is ruining my Christmas joy - I do not want him to be this way for the kids....

Any suggestions as to how I can snap him out of it? Any one in the same boat?? Thanks!

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 10:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Holidays

• My husband also become a Grinch this time of year. Not because of the reasons your husband has but because he is so tight with his money he squeaks when he walks..LOL
    We have just came to the understanding that I do all the Christmas shopping and he pays for it..haha
    But he does help cook the Christmas meal, so I figure it's a good trade off.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• OP: Hey ronjwake - Mine is a Chef and HE does not help/cook the Christmas meal..... Just sits in his recliner with his lip poked out....
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:57 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Chef, there has to be something you can do for him that will bring out the Christmas spirit in him. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort but he will too enjoy the spirit once you pull it out of his cold dead body..LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You can't make him feel what he doesn't. Just do for the children and exclude him out.

I've been doing all the work for the holidays for years on end and it does get tiresome. I've cut back a lot and I've been able to enjoying the holidays just him. =]

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Be blunt. Tell him "You are making a CHOICE by being miserable. Do you want your children having a miserable childhood just like you did because you refuse to show joy around the holiidays? Break the cycle, toughen up and put a smile on your face for your children's sake. I'm sorry your childhood sucked but you're ruining the kids and mine NOW. It is not then it is now and you are choosing to do just what your family did to you. STOP" that should do the trick lol.
    Anonymous

• My hubby is SOOO like this. He always had sucky christmases as a kid, so he doesnt get excited about it anymore. This year I told him tough cookies, drug him to blockbuster and rented christmas movies, then went and got stuff to make cookies with the kids. I told him to get used to it because we were gonna start some family traditions. Tonight we are taking the kids to see christmas lights. Then the rest of the week we have parties. Now, he wont admit it, but he enjoyed last night. And I know he will enjoy tonight, he loves seeing the kids excited, and my 5 year old is THRILLED over christmas lights! Lol.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2009