Christmas Caroling....

This may sound silly, but I am going Christmas caroling for the very first time. I have been a Christian for quite some time, but have never gone caroling. Does anyone know what I should expect? I live in a large city and have visions of being 'sent down the road' unkindly by people who may not observe Christmas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't tell you how happy it makes the older people at the nursing homes. Many do not get vistors, this is why our choir picked the nursing home. We sang tradional Christmas songs and they sang along with us. 20 years later, these are some of my best memories.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I, personally, just wouldn't answer the door. Not sure what other people may do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You may get those that dont answer. You may get those that answer and politely(with smiles)enjoy your singing and thank you after. You may get those who slam the door in your face once you start singing. You may get someone who offers you a warm drink afterwards.

It really will vary. When I did it we got polite smiles although some did a look a bit uncomfy even tho they smiled.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I saw that only once in LI. We gave them a tip at the end . But I have not seen that in years.....
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I had it happen at our house once. It was kind of uncomfortable...I smiled and thanked them but mostly I thought about how I was letting all the heat out the open door and was missing the party I was hosting (they sang like 3 full songs). It's one of those things that sounds nice in theory but less so in practice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Our family used to do this when I was younger. Some of the best memories of my life. Our high school choir did this also, the best place to go is to the nursing home, they LOVE it!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:05 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We did it when I was younger with our church, but we only went to members of our church. It was a lot of fun.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You will get a combo of reactions...
    When I was younger we kids(over 30 yrs ago now...lol) (my siblings and neighborhood friends) would get together
    and go to the houses we knew (which at the time were many) and Carol.... it was so much fun... we
    made a couple $ for fun and got treats and put a lot of smiles on our neighbors faces...
    We did this up until we all hit 13 yrs old... and our small neighborhood started changing...
    Now-a-days ppl don't like answering to strangers they are leery...
    I hope you have fun... times have changed a lot, for some of the most fun and memorable things
    to do are not done any more bc of the way society has changed...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• OP here....we will be going as a church family, those that decide to join us at any rate...not exactly sure where we shall go whether it be door to door, nursing home, etc., but I am hoping that it will be fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I went carolling a few times as a kid. We always went to houses we knew we'd be welcome. Neighbors and families we knew were in need. A nursing home would be a great idea!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:19 AM on Dec. 21, 2009