Ear Infection

Ok my boyfriends second olders daughter is 4 and she stayed the whole week with us last week,and friday she seemed a little down and out and i gave her a kiss and she was burning up and I took her temp and she had a 102 fever so we did the whole tylenol ordeal and broke her fever and then she woke up with one on Saturday,and Sunday and spiked one this morning and she has a real bad cough and Im almost positive its an ear infection,is there anything we can give her until she goes to the doc?

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just tylenol or motrin or if she has frequent ear infections she may have some drops already?
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 11:15 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I give my son children's motrin, but he is a lot younger. When you set up the doc. appointment, did you ask them what they would recommend? And what makes you think its an ear infection? My son had croup a few weeks ago, it was terrible. We ended up taking him to the hospital because he had never had it before and the cough scared me so bad. They gave him a steroid and he was good the next day (so I didn't need to finish out the medicine, thank goodness). Is she pulling at her ear? That's what my friends' son does whenever he has an ear infection.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:16 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Im not able to take her to the doctor due to the fact I'm not her mother or legal guardian or any sort and I've done all i know to do,i have an 8 month old and she's never had an ear infection so this is new to me
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Usually no coughing with an ear infection, 3 days of fever warrants a doctor's visit.....can BF come home and take her? Tylenol cough and cold for now, but the fact that it isn't going away signals better see the doc..good luck momma and thanks for being a good stepmommy-or almost-LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:36 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Elderberry syrup (orally) and apple cider vinegar in her ears

Answer by rkoloms at 2:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Okay first stop trying to bring the fever down unless it reaches 104 for a 4 year old according to our doc. Fever is the bodies way of fighting stuff off and we need to let it do it's job. Second unless she is complaining of ear pain it is likely just a cold/flu and not an ear infection. I would personally treat the cough with chamomile tea/honey and let her be for now. Let her rest as needed and keep an eye on the fever. If you are going to have her several days at a time with no way of getting medical care for her that needs to change. I was in a similar situation and both mom and dad signed papers saying I had the right to get their diabetic daughter emergency medical care if needed.
    Anonymous

• Ok she went to the doctors she has an ear infection,Bronchitis,early stages of Pneumonia,and puss pockets in the back of her throat.Im glad she went to the doctor,i just hopes she gets well soon
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2009