If health thing passes what is gonna happen, NO BASHING, I just dont watch the news much

like I said I dont watch the news much and Ihave heard the healthcare thing is bad. but I really dont know what they are wanting to do and how soon it will go in effect, we are low income will I get free health care? can I get my damned rotten tooth pulled?? Im just wondering, and even if you are against it, feel free to answer politely I dont want this to turn into a bashing game or a debate.

sarahdicksonjr

Asked by sarahdicksonjr at 11:23 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You will spend the next few years paying for healthcare that is not yet available to you, and during those few years they will map out exactly what that healthcare is, since they haven't actually written that yet. They have no set in stone guidelines yet for minimum coverage/deductibles/etc, only that you go to jail if you don't pay for it. You will be allowed to keep your existing insurance, unless, of course, your employer does the math and realizes it's cheaper to pay a fine than to keep offering you insurance and dumps coverage altogether. If you have a PPO, and it doesn't meet the HMO guidelines described in the bill, you will pay a fine. In either case (employer drops or you have a PPO) you will have the option to choose from pre-screened (paid the right kickbacks) companies with "approved" coverage plans that you must pay for or be fined. If you don't pay the fine, you go to jail.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Taxation will start immediately and those depending on the help won't get it until 2014. Meanwhile, the insurance industry can hike their rates (to help pay for those pre-existing conditions that they can't deny coverage to) and we all will be required to carry an insurance policy, or face government fines on our taxes every April. If they determine you make too much money and are willfully disobeying the mandatory coverage, they can put you in jail until you submit. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You will no longer be able to be dumped from your insurance for a pre-existing condition.

If you are one of the millions who don't hace coverage, you may be able to get it now through a public exchange

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• And if you live in the right state, and qualify for medicaid (which will be expanded), you will have nothing at all to worry about, since the fed gov't will pick up the tab for that. But, since you are low income, forget about tanning, as there will be a 10% tax on that. And any device, or "thing" that you need will have a tax added to it. I'm not sure if that would apply to things like band-aids and creams that you can buy anywhere, but things like pace-makers would have a tax added.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I agree with the previous two posters.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:38 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• O No, you mean pay an extra $1 to tan,, the horror. 29, maybe if they are that low income they should start tanning outside for free
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• lol, I tan outside for free in the spring anyways, I dont have time to go to a tanning bed, and they kinda scare me, after final destination! LOL
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 11:52 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yeah, it's much cheaper to get your skin cancer the old fashioned way
    Anonymous

• OP, if you are currently just above Medicaid eligibility, you are in a bad place. They will be expanding Medicaid, but it will be a few years before that happens. To get free coverage, you will have to stay poor. If you move up financially, you will be required to buy insurance. Currently there is no public option.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You will be taxed, made to pay for the health care. You will have to be on a waiting list for doctors. There is nothing in there for the coverage of dental care. I just posted an article and link on what will happen and how they gave away all sorts of stuff to Senators of states to get this health care bill passed. It is disgraceful. And no I'm not bashing, just telling it like it is. It will be mandatory to have health care or you will pay a penalty. It's just a bad deal all the way around.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 12:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009