Teenagers that just make up stuff!

My husband and I are relatively young. I am 21 and he is 24. An old friend of his used to date a girl when she was a teenager and now she is 18. She got in touch with us and we tried hanging out with her but she just lies SO much. She just made up story after story, things like she had a cyst in her spine and it was going to grow into her brain stem and she would die in 5 years. She's had 5 abortions and 3 miscarriages and now she can't have anymore children. They think she has a ovarian cancer but they're not sure. My question is...WHY do teenage girls do this? I never did. I'm exaggerated, for sure, and made things out to be worse than they were, but I never made up anything so ridiculous. Has anyone else dealt with this?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 11:37 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree that it's for attention. One of my sons dated a girl just like this. She was 15, and told him that her last boyfriend had died in a fiery car accident, that she'd had a miscarriage, and when we went out of town to visit his grandfather who was dying of cancer, we came back and she told him that she was going through chemo because "they thought she might have cancer". It was one big lie after another....luckily I knew her mom, and knew that these were lies. I got my son to go visit her mom and she told him the truth, he broke up with her. The drama and problems were constant and just horrible.

I agree if you don't have to have this young girl in your life....don't It's just not worth it. And, maybe if she see's that people don't want to deal with her constant stories, she'll grow up a little.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• its for attention
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• if you don't want to deal with her, don't it's as simple as that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• For attention, and by the way,,,run for the hills, you don't need her making up some story about your DH molesting her or something, I would cut ALL ties with this one!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Adults often do the same thing. I would stay away from people who lie that much. That's just nuts.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Kimigogo-That's exactly what my hubby said. We were afraid that she would make up some story about them having an affair or something. At first I felt bad for her and thought she just needed a friend but you just couldn't talk to her, because she would make up some even bigger story about how she's been through it all, life is just so hard for her, but it was in the annoying, 'buck up little camper' way, where she would do this fake bravery thing. God! it just gets on my nerves so much! I know SO many girls like her.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• ohwrite, I knew plenty of girls like that in high school. They always had some tragedy they went through. And of course, gotta love the girls who fake pregnancies and then tragically lose their babies!
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 12:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I know a girl just like this that's in one of my college classes. Wouldn't you know she's 19 with a 4 year degree? LOL... I actually called her out on alot of her stories though. I thought it was important that she knew that I didn't believe her.
    itsjaimiehere

Answer by itsjaimiehere at 12:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I thought about calling the girl out a few times, but to me, it would almost be more embarrassing for me to be like, i think you're lying. I don't know why I feel that way, because I don't usually have a problem with confrontation...its just in this situation, it would make me feel weird.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 12:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2009