Lying and fibs? Big problem and what do you do?

Okay DS is almost 5 and has a super active imagination, but he will make up stories about everything! He told his grandma he had never been to the dentist. He told his daycare provider our dog ran away and got hit by a car.. the list goes on and on..we talk about it and he says he just LOVES to tell stories! He knows he is lying, but I am kind of unsure how to handle it,,, I have been doing time outs etc..I don't want to squash his imagination,,,,but last night he told me his Dad whipped him with a belt!!! I can see not nipping this in the bud might cause some problems! Any suggestions?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 11:43 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've struggled with this too. My ds tells the AWESOMEST stories but how to distinguish a story (which after all we read to them and technically fiction is lying) and A LIE.....

one avenue I've used is to explain that a LIE -- is when we say something that is not true to get someone in trouble or ourselved out of trouble.
    Takes LOTS of repeating. I generally did not punish him for lying UNLESS it was obvious that he was doing it blantly and for a reason.
    Kids tend to make up stories and thats good but kids also have a hard time understandting the diff. b/w fiction and lies -- which can seem obvious UNTIL you try to explain it to a child.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2009