what are your thoughts on this advice : shoplift

From The Times
December 21, 2009
Yorkshire vicar advises hard-pressed parishioners to shoplift
The eighth commandment used to be a fairly simple one: Thou shalt not steal. A Yorkshire vicar has now come up with an interesting new interpretation, advising the more hard-pressed of his parishioners to shoplift.
cont. below

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 11:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• However they should only do it from big shops, says Father Jones, and it would probably be best if they did not take any more than they needed.

Inevitably, some less spiritually enlightened individuals — including North Yorkshire Police — have taken his remarks in entirely the wrong way, assuming that by advising people to shoplift he is in some way encouraging shoplifting.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Father Tim Jones’s remarks came in his sermon at the Church of St Lawrence, York on Sunday, when he said that stealing from large national chains was sometimes the best option open to vulnerable people.
    Father Jones, 41, said that it was far better for people desperate during the recession to shoplift than turn to prostitution, mugging or burglary
    “My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift,” he told the congregation. “I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neithe
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:46 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• for it is neither.

“I would ask that they do not steal from small family businesses, but from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices.

“I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any longer than they need. I offer the advice with a heavy heart and wish society would recognise that bureaucratic ineptitude and systematic delay has created an invitation and incentive to crime for people struggling to cope.”
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:47 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Arguing that society had failed the needy, he continued: “My advice does not contradict the Bible’s eighth commandment because God’s love for the poor and despised outweighs the property rights of the rich.

“Let my words not be misrepresented as a simplistic call for people to shoplift. The observation that shoplifting is the best option that some people are left with is a grim indictment of who we are.
    Aasiyah

• “Rather, this is a call for our society no longer to treat its most vulnerable people with indifference and contempt. Providing inadequate or clumsy social support is monumental, catastrophic folly.”

A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: “Shoplifting is a criminal offence and to justify this course of action under any circumstances is highly irresponsible.
    Aasiyah

• “Turning or returning to crime will only make matters worse. We recognise some people find themselves in difficult circumstances but support is readily available and must be sought.”

Anne McIntosh, Conservative MP for the Vale of York who has campaigned in Parliament for stronger sentences for shoplifters, admitted that there had been an “over-commercialisation” of the festive period that encourages people to spend.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:48 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• But she said: “I cannot condone inciting anyone to commit a criminal offence. Shoplifting is a crime against the whole local community and society.” Father Jones, a married father of two, hit the headlines in May 2008 when he protested against a store stocking Playboy stationery aimed at youngsters.

the end link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6964050.ece

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Honestly if parishioners at his church are falling on times why not organize an event to raise money to help them. A bake sale or a food drive, or something. There are MORE options available to them than simply "Shoplift the things you need from big stores".   Furthermore and quiet honestly, people have gotten their priorities between wants and needs messed up. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• They can do other things to get the help they need besides shoplifting.
    Thats HORRIBLE advice and people really outta think for themselves...especially listening to the part that says JAIL time could be coming their way if they do this.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 21, 2009

• some poor people do it all the time in my old neighborhood, to feed their families and they would get cought and arrested. i'm sure the same thing will happen. thats the worse advice ever.
    Anonymous