How long does it take for my dinner to get to my babies breastmilk dinner?

I have not been able to find out. When I eat say something spicy, how long does it take for my baby to "taste" it? I was wondering so that way I can monitor if that is something he doesn't care to drink. Also, if I have sweets, does it make my milk really sweet tasting? Or is he just getting the bad calories from it? Does anyone know? Help

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone will be different, it really depends on metabolism and so many other things.

Really, don't make more work for yourself unless he's having a clear reaction to something in your diet (reflux, colic, rashes, etc...). What you eat will just give a taste to the milk... wouldn't even be detectable to you and shouldn't have any effect on baby. It's just there to accustom baby to your diet.

As for sweets... milk is already sweet. The main carbohydrate, lactose, is a sugar. Your milk is never bad calories, the only real effect what you eat will have on your milk is the kinds of fats that are in it. If you eat lots of omega 3's, your milk will be abundant in that. If you eat bad fats, your milk will contain those. And by "bad fat", I don't mean cholesterol. Milk is high in cholesterol anyway (which is a GOOD thing for babies!). Rather, things like transfat.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• From what I have heard, generally babies are used to what you eat from when they were in utero. None of my kids ever had any reactions to anything I ate - and I eat a lot of spicy foods with onions and garlic.

Answer by missanc at 2:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• No, your milk won't get sweeter and YOU are the one who gets negative impact from sweets. (A minute on the lips, a year on the hips!) Tastes generally transfer VERY quickly....in a couple of hours, tops. But unless baby is reacting, as Leanne said...don't worry about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2009