Antibiotics with ear infections.

If most ear infections are viral then how come Ped.'s are always giving kids antibiotics for every ear infection or even if they just have fluid in the ears? Why are they over prescribing them? won't keeping a kids on antibiotics just make them not work as good when they do need them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had a lot of ear infections in his first year, we didnt do the antibiotics, they are overused but sadly a lot of parents dont know and think they work and want them.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:59 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• because most parents want them
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• An awful lot of parents just keep pestering doctors to get them, until they give in, against their best judgment.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has had many bacterial infections. The cold is viral, but once bacteria grow in the mucus, then it's a bacterial infection and antibiotics help. My daughter's ear infections are always improved in a few days after the antibiotics starts. Same with sinus or chest infections. We don't get antibiotics for colds though, which is definately viral and the doc will do blood tests if he's unsure to get a better idea and hold off on antibotics if possible. I guess it depends on the doc. But it also depends on the illness.
    Anonymous

• here is good info on ear infections and antibotics.
    Anonymous

• Most pediatricians no longer prescribe antibiotics for ear infections.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It depends on the doc and the parent. Our doc prefers to take a more natural approach first and if that doesn't work then we do antibiotics. My daughter had a sinus infection and he gave me natural tips to get rid of it. It was basically gone after 3 weeks and then a week later came back and this time her snot stunk so when I called the doc he prescribed an antibiotic. She is currently on day 3 and it doesn't smell as bad, but she is still as runny as ever! She is 2 years old and this is her first antibiotic. Her brother is 4 years old and has yet to have any at all!
    Anonymous

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081600.asp

sorry forgot the link.
    Anonymous

• My 5 year old has chronic fluid in the ears and it turns into an ear infection about every 3 months. He only gets medication when his ears start to hurt, not just because he has fluid. My 2 1/2 year old has ear infections ALL THE TIME and so she gets anti-biotics quite frequently. Its the same ENT for both of them so I trust that there is a reason that she gets them and he doesnt.

My kids have tubes so the ENT can culture the fluid and know within 48 hours if there is a bacteria growing if he is ever in doubt
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009