How do I get my 10 month old to sleep????`

My daughter is almost 11months. She has always been a decent sleeper. When I put her down for naps, she would usually cry for a little bit, but would settle to sleep in no more than 20mins. The last few weeks have been very frustrating for us. She REFUSES to sleep. As soon as we put her in the crib she stands up and starts to bounce and cry. We turn on the music and close the door and she bounces and cries. I dont know what to do. She will cry and bounce for hours if we let her. She will not settle down. We go back in lay her back down, and before we turn our backs to leave she is up bouncing and screaming again. I dont know what to do..30mins before its bed time or nap time we bring her to a quiet room we read to her..sometimes we give her a bath..NOTHING WORKS. I dont know what to do. Should we continue to let her cry, should be keep going in to lay her back down? What do I do. she wont nap!!

LeahsMama

Asked by LeahsMama at 12:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorta going through this too..... think my 9 mo dd is getting her molars already... it could be something like that.... jsut try to be patient... many ppl believe CIO is ok..... others suggest that it makes the child insecure and can leave permenant damage for them in the future.... not sure who's right... it's a touchy subject. I say if she's screaming crying (like choking and emotionally distraut) it's not ok.... if she's just whiney-crying.... it's ok....
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Put her to sleep. Rock her, sing to her, nurse her, wear her... whatever it takes. Then, lay her down.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• been there done that........unfortunatly, the most effective and quickest way is to cry it out. If you keep going in there, she will think if sho cries, someone will come in & get her. good luck

My son uned to cry for 4-5 hours at a time. He would stay up all day and night if I let him (and I did) I would hold him 24/7 for the first 10 months. He is 14 months now & goes to sleep as soon as he hit his crib.

Stick in there, mama. You need you time, too. This baby is in your world. YOU make the rules. There will cause no damage if you are stricter that othre mothers. In my mind, it will give them more boundaries.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP

It is separation anxiety.   But could also be teething, growth spurt (hunger), or milestones.

Personally, I do not like cribs and I recommend lettinger her sleep wherever you happen to be in any room on any surface where she is comfortable.      She'll sleep longer and you'll get rest or get a chance to go about your business.    Despite what people do..CIO...is a harsh thing to do expecially to one so young.  And it often comes with a cost eventually.    Adults can take care of all of their needs even at night...even if that means they want to snuggle with their SO for some love, warmth, and comfort.  A baby alone in a crib can't.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Is she still taking two naps/day? My 13 month old just dropped his morning nap because he was fighting his afternoon nap when he did sleep in the morning. Maybe she's ready to cut back on her sleep?

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• dont get stuck teaching your daughter that she needs rocking, etc in order to sleep. bad bad habit to break.

just be consistent whatever you decided to do. this may go on for a week but it just a phase. Make sure she isnt hungry and isnt over stimulated before going down, and make sure its around the same time very day.

good luck!
    Anonymous

• Is she only doing this for naps? You say she won't nap. It could be that she's done with napping. See what happens at night when you drop the daytime naps.

(Lucky you that she napped at all...mine NEVER did.)

Answer by gdiamante at 9:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2009