Do You Have A Problem W/ People On Food Stamps Saving Money?

Awhile ago, I answered a question by someone who was on food stamps. She used the food stamps and was saving money so she didn't have to use government aide when her family was back on their feet. Some people didn't like that. Why not? What's wrong with saving money while you're on food stamps so you don't have to use that assistance forever?

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 12:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that! That is the direction people who are using public assistance SHOULD be going. To not have to rely on government assistance when your family is on their feet again, to have a place to fall back on should something happen again. This is admirable. Good for them, as long as they are saving, not spending on things that are not 'needs' and has a plan to get off of government assistance. This is how the programs should be set up!

Good for them!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Well, my feelings are that if you have money to save, you should be spending THAT money on food... not socking money away while living off welfare. Sorry.. I do not have any problems with those that need it using food stamps, but those that lie... well, they will get theirs in the end... If you have enough money to save, YOU ARE LYING!!
    Anonymous

• Working and using food stamps is not the same as living off welfare. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• It is absolutely necessary to save money and it has nothing to do with welfare,food stamps,etc. It should be a goal for everyone. I don't get why food stamp receivers shouldn't save....? That is dumb.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I guess it depends...if they are saving up $150 a week for af amily of 3...then they should be buying their own food instead. If they are able to save back $20-$50 a week then that is a good thing because it will really add up...but is still not enough to feed a family.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If they learn to save for the future, they will be able to actually get off pa and move forward with thier lives. If they save and then buy a big screen TV, I am gonna have issues with that.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• nothing wrong with that. As long as they are saving small amounts and not just using food stamps so they can save and not have to "cut corners" with their own money. I guess it just a question of are they really trying to better themselves or are the working the system. Chances are it's OK.
    Anonymous

• anon 12:49 -- have you ever had anything bad happen? Car accident? child had to go to the ER? Lost your job? Things happen and it's important for everyone to have some money to fall back on just in case. It's bad enough when you are struggling to survive then something happens that makes it impossible to afford enough food and electric, etc even with the assistance. If they are smart enough to set aside a small amount and not touch in unless there is an emergency, then I don't see how that is bad. If they are staving their kids just to save, then yes, that is bad. But if they can cut corners, use the aid, and still save just a little at a time? That's healthy and shows great responsiblity. When they finally get to a point where they can come off aid, maybe the next time there is an unexpected event, that saved money will help keep them from going back to that aid.
    Anonymous

• better for them to be saving $ to get back on their feet, than to be buying all the toys and crap they want while they gov't pays for their living expenses.
    Anonymous

• Nope because my family recently(this month)became those people.

We will save money so we can pull ourselves out of the needs we have and we will use the help available til then.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009