i think i want to but

i think i want to breast feed the new baby but i dont want to have to tell the triples wat it is and i dont want to have to answer ever question they have..
soo i am thinking im not going to do it but i dont know

sophia19

Asked by sophia19 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• so you'll deprive your child of the best nutrition possible just because you dont want to have to answer any questions?
    Anonymous

• That's what breasts are for- feeding babies. Just be open with them and matter of fact. You can even point out to them about mama cows and horses feeding their babies, and other mammals. It is a natural and healthy function.

Answer by Bmat at 2:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I don't understand what the big deal is about telling your kids. My older daughter took it as simply as possible. I told her that the baby gets milk from my breasts, and that's it. She's never asked anything else, that explanation is good for her. And, I think that by explaining it to her and making it normal in my house, my kids have less of a chance of being hung up on what everyone else thinks about breastfeeding, you know?

Trust me, your kids won't bat an eye at it. They won't put any sexual overtones on it like adults do - they'll just accept that this is how baby eats.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Breastfeeding is normal and natural. It's nothing dirty or perverted and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. That's what your breasts were CREATED for!! When I was nursing my youngest son, my oldest was just over 2 and he asked me a couple of times what I was doing. I explained to him that this is the way I had to feed D, that D can't eat the same things that he does, and that this is the way I fed him when he was a baby and that Mommy's body makes milk to feed the baby. He was like, "Oh okay" and went on about his business. Haven't your children ever seen puppies or kittens or animals at the zoo being nursed? It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• There shouldn't be too many questions, especially if you approach it as Bmat says. Just be open, babies can eat from a bottle or mommies breast. and use other examples if necessary.
    Anonymous

• I nursed in front of my 2 year old and 8 year old. I just told them I feed the baby from my body. they never really cared at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You'll have lots of questions with kids anyway-
    could it be that you are maybe making excuses to get out of breast feeding? There's always breast pumps and bottles for breast milk! There is a lot of pressure on women to breast feed and I think any woman should decide what to do for herself.
    But breast milk is best - Please consider a way to get it to your child one way or another.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 3:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• they can understand, its like telling them cows milk comes from a cows breast,..
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 3:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I checked out your page before I answer, I noticed that you list one of the challenges as autism. Is this why you feel the kids might not be able to understand breastfeeding? If so I would discuss it with their pedi, or teachers if they are in early intervention for autism. I suspect that if you give them a simple explanation they would understand. Breastfeeding is the best way to feed a baby but not the only way. Only you can know that, your situation is unique.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think that's a silly reason. I'd nurse, and if asked what I was doing, I'd say, feeding the baby. I'd leave it at that unless they questioned it further. How old are they?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2009