school is making my kid not want to be smart.....HELP?

my son is 8 ... when he started kindergarten they quickly realized he was smart and started him on 1st grade work in the classroom, 1st grade he did 2nd grade work in the 1st grade class and tuttored other kids, then the state stepped in and tested him decided to place him in a higher learning acadamy, because of work we relocated states away and the new state tested him before enrolling him in 2nd grade he scored late 3rd grade and mid 4th grade in all his test but they said he should stay with kids his own age( because they have no higher learning) and had him do 3rd grade work..... so he always feels left out in class and no longer wants to be smart and has no will to try anymore..... they have the no child left behind for the kids that are struggling but what about the ones who are left behind in a class thats below their skill level ? what should i do, the school board wont listen,what do i do?

haileymomof4

Asked by haileymomof4 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• with my niece my SIL moved her ahead a grade but then there were the social aspects to deal with, luckily my niece is mature for her age so it didnt take long to work it out.

With my son we left him at grade level teh school gave him as much higher level work as they could but once he hit 6th grade there wasnt much more they could do so he had to just stick it out, now in 6th grade he is in the middle school and academically things are much better for him.

It is always hard to find the right solution with bright children especially at the elem. level where you are trying to balance social and academic skills properly. is it possible to attend a private school till he reaches middle school? Many private schools area little bit ahead academically grade wise compared to public schools. When i myself was taken out of private school and put in public i found that i had already covered what they were teaching.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Would he try to do better if you had some sort of reward system at home? And maybe you could tell him that the rewards aren't some thing someone his numerical age would typically get or get to do, but someone older.
    KadensMom0428

Answer by KadensMom0428 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Have you considered homeschooling? I homeschool both of my boys, and one of the reasons is because they can learn at their own pace. They don't have to be pushed ahead if they're not ready, or held back because the rest of the class isn't ready. PM me if you have any homeschooling questions.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:14 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• What about a private school? They can be more academically challenging.
    Anonymous

• This is why we decided to homeschool. Our state also does not do enrichment, kids who are on a higher grade levek are expected to just 'go with the flow' I am not sure what to recommend, but we are homeschooling and my kids are just flourishing. I am sad for your son, no one's spark should be put out because the school system can't handle it.
    Anonymous

• Public school has that affect on kids. Good intentions, poor execution.

Have you considered homeschooling? It's really a great option and your child can work at his own pace at his own level.
    Anonymous

• Do they have gate? Another option is on-line education, sort of half way between home school and traditional school. In Ca we have charter schools as well, they are small, state funded but privately run schools.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would look up your state laws, and see if there's a loop-hole you can pick out. Also, there's private or home schooling programs and depending upon the state you can also do charter schooling; I have three out of four children working 1-2 grade levels above their grade through a charter school which is a school through a district.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• if you're a SAHM, how about home education? As their mom, you can probably gauge their needs better than an outside teacher.
    Anonymous

• IDEA (federal special education law) provides for children who are gifted. You could push for a gifted IEP for him and then the school would be required to provide him with appropriate enrichment services. Check your state's special education laws to see how to go about obtaining the appropriate services for your child.
    Anonymous