school wont let my kid learn????

my son is 8 ... when he started kindergarten they quickly realized he was smart and started him on 1st grade work in the classroom, 1st grade he did 2nd grade work in the 1st grade class and tuttored other kids, then the state stepped in and tested him decided to place him in a higher learning acadamy, because of work we relocated states away and the new state tested him before enrolling him in 2nd grade he scored late 3rd grade and mid 4th grade in all his test but they said he should stay with kids his own age( because they have no higher learning) and had him do 3rd grade work..... so he always feels left out in class and no longer wants to be smart and has no will to try anymore..... they have the no child left behind for the kids that are struggling but what about the ones who are left behind in a class thats below their skill level ? what should i do, the school board wont listen,what do i do?

haileymomof4

Asked by haileymomof4 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At least he should get straight A's & possibly get scholarcships.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• the school board wont listen,what do i do?

Demand an IEP that includes adequate socialization and if they still won't comply call a lawyer.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure that you can make the public school let him advance. If you haven't already, you should be getting in contact with the school district. Stress to them that you and your family value education over socialization with 30 random kids, in the real world a person should know how to interact with a wide variety of people instead of just people within 6 months of their own age.
    I would also stress to them, that they need to look at your son as a person and realize how demeaning it is to make a person repeat stuff they already know. Not to mention that they are risking his interest and drive to do well in school. There are plenty of kids who get bored with school and never achieve their potential because of it.

If all else fails, you could send him to a private school or possibly homeschool him.

GL, and don't quit fighting for your son!
    Anonymous

• Check around for area gifted programs. Your child needs to have the intellectual stimulation. You can also check for enrichment programs. The Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University is a fantastic resource for parents: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 2:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I hear you there! it was the same with me! Sounds like the schools are still doing the same things. lots of programs for the kids that struggle, but they punish the kids that don't.
    When I was in elementary school I won writing contests. Then in middle school I had a teacher that thought I had writing problems because he scored my stories low.I then stopped doing them about 20% of the time because I was insulted by the way he would force us to write about certain things
    I say take him out and find a homeschooling system that works. I was on home bound schooling my sophomore year of high school. When I came back, the Grade counselor asked me why it was that in my sophomore year my grades were so much higher and my testing scores showed such a improvement that they wondered if I had cheated! All that progress was made when I was on home bound, then my progress slowed way down once they put me back into school!
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 3:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• First, unless he has a disability or behavior problem he doesn't qualify for an IEP. Second, tell the school that if they don't do something, you will go to the state department of education and if that doesn't work then you will go to the federal department of education. Keep fighting for you child, no one else will. I would also look into homeschooling him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I know in ga you have to jump through red taped hoops to get a kid moved up a grade but it only takes one teacher suggesting it for them to be help back. Have oyu contacted some local private schools to see if he may qualify for a scholarship based on merit?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2009