Commercialism of Christmas

How many of you are seeing this as a common occurrence in your extended families/friends/towns? I personally don't know of anyone who doesn't know the true meaning of Christmas, rather it be religious or not. To the people I know, it has little to do with presents, and more to do with being with loved ones and being appreciative for all the good things you have in your life. I know there are people out there who ARE like this, but I'm saying I don't see it as being the majority the way its supposed to be.

I think the materialistic side of Christmas is something retailers want us to believe in. They're able to convince us we need the latest and greatest, whatever that might be. Some people succumb, some don't. It's good for business if they're able to get us into their stores, and they're going to do what they can to succeed in that.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Holidays

• xmas has always been about FAMILY in my family growing up. Even for us toy-happy kids, knowing we'd be going to nana's to see relatives, sing songs and eat a ton of food was the most exciting and important part of this holiday!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Is boosting the economy really such a bad thing? Every year we hear people complain about the commercialization of Christmas. Does it really matter if I like to get my kids gifts? Plenty of people can enjoy watching their kids run to the tree Christmas morning and enjoy the time and memories they share.

Anonymous

• I agree, presents aren't evil. I should have been clearer. What I meant was, its not ALL about the gifts.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I don't care what other people do. Buying presents, lights, trees and the works is something my family enjoys doing together. Call it commericial if you will. To most people it is their tradition.
    Anonymous

• We ar a giving nation and to our loved ones as well. Go to other nations where they are so cheap and never really buy much and are still always at war...........What gets to me is that we have to stop say Merry Christmas. Go to their country I doublt it if I can stop telling them to not wish their god a merry one.....
    Anonymous