Car Insurance...

So the claims adjuster looked at my car, and i know shes not a mechanic, but since my car doesnt have a high value, she said she thinks they will just total it. Will they finish paying off my car loan since i wasnt at fault for the accident? I have an appointment with the attorney tomorrow morning, but im trying to get my notes together on what i need to ask for. my son was in the Car and im taking him to ER tonight, daycare said he is crawling a little funny, like stiff i suppose. and im STILL hurting. im almost 6 mos. preg. so the adjuster offered me 1300 for pain and suffering if i settled Today!! and i wanted to laugh at her. that wouldnt even pay off my car loan! but i wanted some other opinions?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Starrsun, I have had two cars totaled out in the last 5 years the most recent being October of last year and a car of mine was stolen six years ago I have always gotten book value and on one vehicle got just over book value because I had receipts on very recent repairs. My Moms car was totaled out last summer and they gave her book value on it. Everybody I have ever spoken to got book value. You don't always have to except their first offer. I turned down the first offer for two out of three vehicles. Then again, I have awesome car insurance!
    Anon, you can get a rental car and make the other persons insurance pay. You just call them and tell them you need a car. My Husbands Aunt was in a wreck last year and that is how she got a rental car. She just called the other peoples insurance and they paid for it. My Mom also got her rental car paid for by the at fault persons insurance.
    DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!!!!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Insurance will pay the book value on your car. If you owe more on the vehicle then what it is worth (most people are in this boat) unless you have gap insurance you will have to sue for the other amount. If you are financing more than half what the vehicle is worth then I always recommend gap insurance.
    May I ask why you are waiting until tonight to take your son to the ER?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I agree with Kc932.

Answer by louise2 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Did you just get in to the accident today??? Do NOT setttle at all. Honestly, the first thing you shoud have done IMMEDIATELY after the accident is go to the ER....you and your son....via ambulance. That validates the fact that you were injured. Often, if you wait, it could be pereived as you just wantingg to make a buck. Not saying that's the case but if you wait more than a day or two it doesn't look good. Never settle off the bat. If need be contact a lawyer. You are pregnant, you had a young child in the car and you were not at fault for the accident. The insurance company (the other drives insurance) is responsible for any and all medical care needed, compensating for blue book value of your car and if you lose any time from work because of physical therapy or medical care they are responsible. Do not settle for one penny until any PT or medical care is completly finished.
    Anonymous

• i went to the ER in the ambulance that day, ive been keeping an eye on my son, but hes been so clingy that we havent seen him really crawl around. The accident was friday afternoon. Today was the first day hes been outta my care and around other kids. My pain is worse now, than it has been the whole time. Me getting my son checked out has nothing to do with money...I think the way insurance works is crazy. My car was hit i am not at fault but im going to end up with no car to drive and not enough money to get another one!? Im frustrated to the point of tears!
    Anonymous

• Kc932,they do NOT give 'book value' if car is totalled! Most insurance companies will say if damages are at least 75% of car's value,they will just scrap it;sell it to a junk yard!! I just went thru this in Nov.
    When my husband was in his accident,the HP officer did not even offer to call EMS for him. Then she had the audacity to ask him to help her and tow truck driver to move wrecked vehicle off road!
    I would NOT settle ANYTHING yet.Certainly not medical,since at the time of original post you hadn't been to a doc. Definetly not auto loss,until a licensed mechanic has been to look over your vehicle.
    Oh,and btw..if you have Nationwide,expect long drawn out delays...'Nationwide...is NOT on your siiide.'
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 5:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Oh and actually what USUALLY happens is the insurance company sells the car and a private party rebuilds the vehicle and puts it back out on the road. These vehicles are SUPPOSED to be issued whats called a "salvage title". Often banks will not finance vehicles with a salvage title. My Mother works as a Special Agent for the Highway Patrol, she has specialized in this particular field (titles)and auto theft for over twenty years.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009