preschool or no preschool?

there is a free preschool that i can get my 3.5 year old into that runs 3 hours 4 days a week. I would really love to do this for him so he can make friends and have learning times. I do work with him on letters and numbers at home but with a new baby at home my attention no longer revolves completely around him and I often find myself telling him to go play by himself so mommy can help out sissy or just have some quiet time. I would really like to get ds in this program but I worry I will get a job shortly after he starts there and will have to pull him out because of lack of transportation. What are your thoughts?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do it. My son benefitted from going to pre school. He knew how to print letters and say words. It is great to meet other little kids and have play dates. Iwas so glad my son went there because he was really shy and it helped a lot.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You can also find out they do for transportation. Some preschools do offer bus. If that is what you worried about. You can all find out if maybe friends or family can help you out. I really think preschool know a days is needed. There is so much more they need to know for kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• I've already talked with the preschool about bus systems and they don't have one. I am really looking into it though because I know it will be good for him. I just worry because over his life he has been yanked around so much I wonder if going to this new school for a few weeks or months then being pulled to go to yet another would truely hurt him.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think he should go to preschool- I loved it and i think it was important that I went. My niece loved it too- she was very social. if there would be no way to handle transportation to the free preschool, could you find another program that would work if you got a job? Good luck!
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 3:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That's the thing, I know a full time preschool I'd love to get ds into but I don't have the funds for that now and won't til I get a job. I've been trying to get one for two or three months now and been putting off enrolling ds into preschool because of this. But who knows when I will be offered a job. It could be right after the holidays or it could be sometime late next year ya know?
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yes!!!! Preschool is very important. It is not only about academics but socialization. It will give him time to make friends and time to learn to be independent of mom and dad, which is a HUGE thing for being in Kindergarten. Other than the academics, he will learn to share, follow directions, empathy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2009