What about Maternity leave?

As I am reading post after post on the healthcare debate...I am becoming more and more curious as to why more moms aren't fired up about the united states maternity leave? For those of you who don't realize...other than Australia and a few other small undeveloped countries the US is the only country that doesn't provide federal paid maternity leave (FMLA does provide for 12 weeks, but unpaid). As all of us being Moms here we should be fighting to get that! One thing I love about Cafemom is it's ability to get some women fired about about issues....so I ask you once again...why aren't we using our brains and our power as women and mothers to change this? Any ideas? I know all of you would like to be able to spend more time with our children when they first come into the world...and there are states who do provide it, but there are also a lot of states who don't. Makes me so angry!

mammacita9

Asked by mammacita9 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sure, if you want to pay more in taxes, because that is how it is funded
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i heard, key word being heard lol dont quote me on this but in some countries in europe you get 3 years paid maternity leave
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 4:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• The sense of entitlement is what amazes me
    Anonymous

• Sure I would pay more in taxes for something like that! I think it is way too important not to have it. And lets face it...we pay taxes for things we don't even know about or that are far less beneficial. Just curious is that the only reason you wouldn't want it? 3rd world countries are able to do it and we have certainly a lot more money than they do... it just seems like a no brainer to me.
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• what third world country has paid maternity leave, seriously?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Alot more money? Where? you mean the money we get from China?
    Anonymous

• In case you missed it we are in serious debt that our children and their children and so on will pay for...it was up there already and our current president tripled it within months of office..im with anon where will it come from? China...or will we print more up devalueing the dollar even more?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• FMLA does provide for 12 weeks, but unpaid

Umm Id have to call BS on that. My husbands job gives the women 12 weeks PAID and gives the men 3 weeks PAID. I know this because my hsuband took those 3 weeks when our daughter was born. He was there the whole time with me.
    He also got an additonal FMLA for 6 months that if he had to leave work or cal in that he would still get half a days pay and it wouldnt count against him
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• that is not how FMLA is written, it is 12 weeks unpaid leave... if a company chooses to offer above and beyond, or if they offer paid leave that is nice, but that is not the coverage under federal law
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• check out this website...

www.apesma.asn.au/women/maternity_leave_around_the_world.asd

it breaks down the maternity leave for countries all over the world...

LOL I wasnt trying to start a debate..I was just curious if some of you were aware of this and why it is okay to you?
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2009