Why doesn't my cat let me hold her?

I pick her up and she'll let me for about 5 seconds then she jumps out of my arms and if she does let me pet her right away she wants to bite me (not hard) but sometimes she can I guess she doesn't realize she is doing this but damn I can't cuddle with her. Why is she this way? I talk to her I feed her I take good care of my kitty cat (5 yrs. old) she is a calico cat.

Thanks Ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I have one cat that is the exact same way. I can't pick her up! She hates it! But when I'm laying in bed she's the first to come over to me and curl up next to my head and purr like crazy! My other cat is really, really sweet and I can hold him, but if he gets scared, oh, he'll scratch and do whatever he can to get out of my arms! They all have different personalities!
    Anonymous

• Different cats have different personalities. If she'll let you hold her for 5 seconds, then make sure to hold her for 5 seconds often. She'll get more used to it, and the times will extend a little, but don't expect her to become a different cat. Have you tried putting a soft blanket on your lap while you watch TV and luring her over? My cat that isn't into being held LOVES lying on my lap on a winter night.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Some cats don't like to be held. I have a part Siamese cat that does not like to be picked up and held, but he loves to sit in my lap. I've been told that's typical of a Siamese.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• LIke the other people said, cats just have different personalities. I grew up with lots and lots of cats, most of them we got as kittens. They were all treated the same and yet were all different in how much they liked to be held. one would let me carry her around upside down like a baby, one would sit on my shoulders, some would let me hold them for a little while but not upside down, and others didn't like to be picked up at all. I have 2 cats now and neither one likes to be held, they will sit on my lap when they feel like it, but will run away if I pick them up. I miss the cat that let me carry her around like a baby I would love to find another cat with her personality.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cats are weird. There personalities are hit or miss. Males are typically less temperamental then female but some cats just aren't 'cuddlers'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I'll tell you why, she is CALICO. LOL
    Anonymous

• LOL, that's a cat for ya. =) Cats have all sorts of personalities. My cat does not like to be handled but loves to be petted and is now finally a bit of a "lap cat". He'll be 8 soon. He just gets a little weirded out when he's not in total control of his body.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I have two single litter, Feline-American sibling sets, quints and twins...out of the seven, four love petting/scratching on their varying terms. Two are needy little brats who are perfectly happy to be carried everywhere or to ride on my shoulder like furry, overgrown parrots. One is still basically feral and only comes out to eat and use the box...and play with the others. Chase allows no human contact at all --- and he was NOT the feral twin. Like everyone else said, they all have their own personalities, just like people.

My eldest loved to be picked up. He would stretch up and demand it, and would climb me if I did not pick him up fast enough. Yet he was also a vicious little demon who would bite after three seconds of the petting you could tell he loved. Boy needed a good military school..but they discriminate so against the Feline-American. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Um...well Mr. Diego hates to be held. He prefers to sit on the bed next to you for loving. Jubee, loves to be held, carried, loved upon, scratched, rubbed, everything...then again...sometimes I am more Diego than Jubee and I don't want to be bothered either
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I have two cats. One doesn't like being picked up, the other loves being in my arms, under my covers, on my lap, on the newspaper I'm trying to read instead of petting her. It's just their personalities.
    Anonymous