Are Christians truly held to a "higher level"?

I hear this often, and I don't really understand why this is. I don't see my fellow Chrisitan held any higher than I hold myself, when it comes to what is right or wrong, and how we treat each other.
So, you follow Jesus Christ. So what? How does that hold you to a higher standard than "common folk"?
Do Christians feel this way about themselves...that they are "above" others?
Perhaps this is that "elitist" attitude that I dislike about Christianity.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally think that some Christians feel they are morally on a 'higher level' than others... and also think many of those individuals don't realize or know what moral guidances OTHER belief systems have in place to guide behaviour morally and ethically. Christianity is not the only belief system that sets guidelines for how to live a spiritually upright life.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I am not higher than anybody. We are all equal. Do I hold myself to a higher standard than other people? Well, to answer this question I need to compare myself to others, which is something that I try not to do.

For me the standard of morality is God's holy Law found in the Bible, exemplified perfectly by Jesus. I fall short of that example daily. There are people who do a better job of me walking in holiness (I could name them). There are people that don't care to hold themselves to the standards that I have held myself to.

But for me, it isn't just about do's and don'ts--Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount to address our hearts. So I want my heart to be completely devoted to Him and my thought life to please Him.

I think our culture rejects Biblical morality; in fact it hates it. I don't know many people that really care much for true purity and holiness.

cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I mean, just think about sexual purity. Most people just think anything is good as long as it turns you on. That is not what God teaches. But if you say porn is bad, or any number of things are bad -- people get really really upset.

Sure everyone wants to help those in need, show kindness, love, peace, etc.

But when it comes to holiness, people hate it.

Of course Christians are not supposd to judge non-Christians, but the Bible teaches that as Christians we are to be holy. We are to have clean hands and pure hearts.

anyways, I am rambling . . . sorry.

To answer your question I don't think I am better than anyone. And I am not going to be judged based on how well I line up to everyone else. Either I am as good as Jesus, or I am not. I just need to confess my sins, repent and just LOVE Him.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I'm not above anyone. I'm taught that we have to follow in Jesus' footsteps and Jesus was humble and let everyone know that he was not better than anyone, although he was perfect, but his quality of being humble is what shone through. I try my best to be like that. I'm no better than a homeless man on the street, he's human as am I.
    Anonymous

• Yes and no.

Yes, we Christians are held to a higher standard of behavior. Our standards are clearly delineated in Scripture, and further explained by Holy Tradition and the teachings of the Church. We are commanded to behave in a Christlike manner.

That being said - we fall short. Every.Single.One.Of.Us. There is not a single Christian on the face of the planet that can actually live up to this standard. That's why we have Confession. Because we know we can't. So in that respect, no - we are no different than anyone else. We are just as human, just as flawed, just as fallen. We're not "above" anyone.

Part of being Christian is learning humility. And if a Christian is demonstrating an "elitist" attitude, obviously the humility is taking a back seat there. I hope that makes some sense (household is going ballistic right now . . .)
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 4:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• "I mean, just think about sexual purity. Most people just think anything is good as long as it turns you on. That is not what God teaches. "

That is a bold generalization of people. Do you know this for sure? How do you know this? How do you know what others feel about purity?
    I think the idea that we are only as good as our virginity status, is just plain, weird. And I greatly dislike the extra importance it is stressed upon young girls. They become nothing but vessels of "sexual purity"...even going so far as to promise to their parents their virginity?!! What is THAT about? I find this extremely distrubing.

I'd think that any God would rather people know their entire being is of great importance, and it's how they go about their daily lives-treating others-that counts. NOT the fact that they "saved" their sexual selves for some dude/chick. That seems so degrading.
    But thats just me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• NO! As a Christian I shout out from the top of the roof NO, God's laws are laws we should all obey.

The ironic thing, on CM, Christians are called out more when they slip. If an atheist, pagan or even muslim makes a comment that may not be considered that nice it is ok HOWEVER when a Christian says something there might be remarks like Is that what Jesus would do? Or I thought you were not suppose to judge, and of course the one that confuses me the most How very Christians of you (I am going to leave out specific examples as to not get the question off topic)

Morals are morals and non Christians will be the first to say this UNTIL a Christian shows their human error and they are immediately called out on it. To say our behavior should be better is like saying we are better and we are no better and no worse thann all God's children.
    Anonymous

• "Yes, we Christians are held to a higher standard of behavior. Our standards are clearly delineated in Scripture, and further explained by Holy Tradition and the teachings of the Church. We are commanded to behave in a Christlike manner.

This is what I find to be "elitist". How do you know that how you are living is a higher standard? And maybe this is where I struggle; because I think Jesus, the human being(and that was all he was) lived his life in a manner that ALL people could attain. BUT because others put-upon him a "God" his way of life became "unattainable" by others. Making it ok to fall short of living a life such as he.

But see, I don't see him as a God. I see him as my equal, my neighbor, brother, father, friend....what he did in his life...the love and light he achieved IS very much attainable to me. I need only live my life with love as he did.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• "The ironic thing, on CM, Christians are called out more when they slip"

I think this is because they tout all the time, how much they are "of God" and need to live according to his word.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• sahmamax2 IMO your comment "because they tout all the time, how much they are "of God" and need to live according to his word." was more of a bold generalized statment of cinnamon mom who at least put "most" to make it clear she was not including everyone.

"They"? who exactly is "they" I can't think of one time when I said I am of God. Who died and made you judge of all? Who said it is YOUR job to be the Christian police? So what if a Christian says they want to live by God's word, did "they" tell you to score them?

Not you personally you in the general sense, but I see on CM a lot where a person will put "some" Christians and expect that to be an exclusion.
    Anonymous