IS this really my fault? Does she have every right to be this mad at me?

I drove 2 hours to go see my best friend from high school at her college campus. When I got there she said she wanted us to hang out and drink a little like old times. I said ya ok that is cool. We had fun she offered to buy the 2 bottles of jack. Things were great til 2 days later when I was at home. I get a call from her saying that she doesnt get paid for a week still and SHE miscalculated her money and she wants me to pay her back 40 bucks.

I would had gladly helped a friend out but I too was a ways from pay day and was flat broke. She got pissy with me and hasnt talked to me since.

HOw is it my fault she didnt manage her money right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• No she doesn't... and I'd tell her while we're adding up all of the money that was spent... how about she pay me back the money I spent on the gas to come see her (if she invited you).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• that is not your fault. She offered, you accepted.
    Anonymous

• I would say it is her fault personally, but I would offer to send her the money (at least half of what the two of you spen ton liquor) WHEN you can afford it. It isn't your fault she miscalculated and she had the bright idea to get drunk in the first place anyhow.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:29 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It's not your fault. She has no right to be mad at you. This is sometimes the trouble with friends.
    Anonymous

• why did you guys need 2 bottles of Jack? Y'all must have been hammered...lol!

I would tell her that you are broke & can write her a check when you can & that you are sorry this happened, but you were not prepared to give her $40.00. I would tell her that i would buy the alcohol next time to make up for it. Life is too short to have petty fights with friends you love. Just be the better person, tell her you have no money but that you feel bad she is broke too.

And remember, money if superficial.....friendship is not. Don't let something like this ruin your friendship, call her & talk to her like you would want her to talk to you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Yes she invited me. We werent the only ones there she had her roomates and their BFs there too she bought the bottles for everyone.

I have been trying to talk to her it has been a month and she will not answer or even respond to emails.
    Her and I have been best friends for 7 years and she is being this way because I didnt have 40 dollars right then and there to give her.

I even told her that if she could wait for my pay day i woul dgive her some money. She told me no she needed it that day and her BF would be by to pick it up. I told her again I did not have the money

OP
    Anonymous

• I'm terribly sorry that it has come to this. In my opinion, no she does not have the right to be angry. Management of her finances are no one's responsibility by her own and you offered to help when you were paid. I will tell you with all honesty, anything that I ever do to help a friend is done from the bottom of my heart. I would never ask payment in return. Never. If I could not afford to do such a thing, then I simply would not. Example: A friend of mine could not afford presents for her children, so I bought them a few, what I could afford so there would be something. She offered to pay me back after the new year. I told her no chance....when you get on your feet if you want, just do something for someone else that you know has a need. I don't charge for my love of my friend or anyone else...and it's kind of sad that your friend does. Just my little opinion....that and $2 will get some coffee I suppose.
    Anonymous

• Sorry about her luck. She could have saved up for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• no, it's not your fault, She screwed up her money and was hoping you could bail her out.
    She'll probably get over it, and if she doesn't, then I would continue sending her letter updating her on how you are and what is going on in your life to try and keep in touch. Over time she probably won't even remember.
    If you want, once you get paid you could do something like give her a basket with toilet paper and Mac and cheese, ramen noodles and the like. - things that I referred to as a survival pack when you were in college. With a funny card.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 7:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• for $40 dollars?? That is one high class friend you have there.
    Anonymous