tubes

has your child had tubes and what do you think about them? We went to the drs today and they refered us to an ENT i'm very scareed. She is 17 months

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 4:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had tubes 4 times when I was little. It wasn't a big deal. I was scared because of the hospital setting and the gas mask, but the overall experience wasn't bad. They helped my problems a lot, and almost instantly, so very worth it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son don't even know they are in, and neither will your daughter. He is 2.5 now and they are about to come out, completely painless, on their own. The worst part is just being groggy from the anestesia in the process of waking up from it. She won't be in pain just groggy. My best friend's daughter just went through this and I just had this discussion with her too. You are going to be nervous. I know. My son had eye surgery when he was 2 months old, I can relate but there is nothing to it. You are going to be fine. The worst part for you is just being away from her for 30 mins for them to do it. It will help her out with ear infections and trust me, tubes are A LOT better than ear infections!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• DD had them just before she was a year, she doesnt know they are there...... the worst part is seeing them come off the anestesia after. Some do get ear infections, DD did, but you just put drops in, you know they have one, they drain (which is the point of them) but it doesnt seem to affect them the way an ear infection would. DD is now almost 19 months and has lost one tube already.
    LizaJayne

Answer by LizaJayne at 10:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2009