tubes

has your child had tubes and what do you think about them? We went to the drs today and they refered us to an ENT i'm very scareed. She is 17 months

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 4:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son had tubes put in at age 2 1/2. I was super worried too. B/c they have to be sedated and my son has asthma and a mild VSD...hole in his heart.

But the Dr's knew these things and told us he would do fine. It was a quick procedure. The worst part was right after he came out....he was disoriented and still under the drugs....he was flailing around and I could hardly hold him. He was confused and upset. But once the drugs wore off he was fine the rest of the day. We had to make him play calmly...lol.

And those tubes helped him stay healthy for years! Last year at his 5 year old appointment they told us that in one ear the tube had slipped out and was gone...the other one was coming out....but we never saw them...they are TINY.

He has been fine ever since. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Tubes plus tonsils out helped my son stay well instead of ear infections all the time.

Answer by Bmat at 5:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• my daughter has her 2cd set of tubes in now. the first time was scary for me.. but it helped tremendously. the ear infections stopped completely. then they fell out.. and they started again.. so this time they removed her adnoids and put her 2cd set of tubes in.. almost a year this round and still no infections.. my daughter was getting ear infections every other week... it was non stop - nothing helped.. the tubes are a life saver.. IMO! and she did not even know they was there. just watch getting water in her ears if they put them there. ive noticed when she gets water in her ear it is more sensative.. but other than that - perfect!
    luckycharms0406

Answer by luckycharms0406 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son had tubes put in his ears at about 15months old. He is three now and it was a decison I don't regret. He started out having a few ear infections until finally just one long ear infection that we never could seem to clear up. His tubes are still in place (normally they fall out naturally long before now for most kids) and has not had a single ear infection since. He goes under water to play, he has had fewer illnesses in general, and his speech issues resolved after his tubes were in. When he had his ear infections, at any given time he had a 20 to 65% blockage in his ears, causing him to have difficult hearing. I was nervous about the surgery but it took less than 30 minutes. There was some bleeding around his nose (they also removed his adnoids) and he was pretty cranky/fussy after recovery. We had some pain medication and he slept for most of the remaining day at home. Then he woke up and played.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• a 3 yrd old had her adnoids out and tubes put in on thursday and was in the christmas play sunday night. She was fine and was bouncing and playing with no problems.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2009

• My son had tubes three times. They work wonders as long as they stayed in... He was very fussy after surgery and then a few hours later he was good to go!
    Anonymous

• my daughter will be 3 on the 18th and is getting her tubes on the 12th. We are hoping this will really help her hearing. She has yet to have an infection but she has chronic fluid and the tubes will get rid of that and prevent it from coming back.
    lundaylove

Answer by lundaylove at 8:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2009