tubes

has your child had tubes and what do you think about them? We went to the drs today and they refered us to an ENT i'm very scareed. She is 17 months

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am going through the process right now. My baby is 2 1/2 and she is barely speaking where you can understand it, has had 10 ear infections in the past 8 months, a hole in her ear drum, etc. They brought us in for a consultation and looked in her ears. He is also bringing her back for a hearing test as he stated that right now her ears look good (which was a big fat DUH! because she is on a strong antibiotic and wouldn't have any infections or anything right now....). From there I am hoping he can help us or I am going to someone else because I know after all that she needs something to help her. She keeps constant fluid in her ears, poor little thing. Everyone I have spoken to though has had great experiences with them and said they really helped and it didn't even effect the baby to get them.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:46 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My daughter had them at 18 months. Piece of cake. Don't worry about it now, you don't even know what the ENT will say yet.
    Really, it's nothing, takes 30 minutes in and out. My daughters fell out on their own after a couple of years.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My daughter got them at 2. She's 2 1/2 now and has had one ear infection since then. This time last year she had about 3 or 4. So it can help. It's a fairly simple outpatient procedure and my daughter didn't seem to be hurting much at all. The day of surgery, my daughter was already speaking more than she had been prior.
    Anonymous

• My girls had them and they were a huge help. There is a great reduction of infections, the pain from those infections is much less, speach is better. It is a simple day surgery, not a big deal, very safe.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My son was in and out and into recovery in about 15 mins. A few minutes later we were able to go home. It is a scary thing because they are going under but it is such a simple procedure and if its needed its a huge help. My son had over 12 ear infections in a 12 month period, he definitely needed it!
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 7:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• my son was 16 months old when he had tubes....it was very scary, but well worth it. he had one infection after that 2 years later and it was cleared up with drops instead of antibiotics.....he's almost 5 now and we have never had a problem. if you are having issues with ear infections, i recommend the tubes. i know its scary to watch your baby go through it, but its such a simple procedure, everything will be okay!
    LKLMommy

Answer by LKLMommy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 21, 2009