Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long

how long does it take usually for a father who is not on the birth certificate to file for paternity and then get private visitations? from day one of filing to get the test done until the actual day when he can take his child by himself for the day? Anyone know on average how long this would all take if the two parties were not in agreement, never married, and the mother is adament that the guy is not fit to have a child (under 1 years old) by himself.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • theres a lot it depends on. you have to go to court multiple times. the test it self just to take and come back takes two weeks. the court process could take up to a year or more. it depends on where he plans to get the paternity test done. fastest way would be to go through child support. if the mother goes to court to file for sole custody before the paternity test is filed, then it will take even longer, especially if sole custody is granted before the child support is filed. even if the father or mother signs rights over completely a judge can still make the parent without rights pay child support. its tough to say how long anything will take. shortest is about six months if one parent fights it long enough. longest is up until the childs 18th birthday. its possible, but not likely. you'd be better off getting some sort of consultation from a lawyer. they will give you a better estimate based on your personal situation.

    Answer by mommykayti at 4:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

  • So you are saying that I should file for sole custody right now if I think that the father is going to file for a paternity test??? I am not sure exactly if he is going to do this, i just have a If i jump the gun and go and file for sole custody, would he be notified of this? Does this mean he would have to sign over his rights? b/c I know he would never do that.

    Also, if he where to file for a paternity test, could I prolong this in any way? Being busy, having to reschedule to take my son to be tested.....?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

  • It depends on the state you live in. You need to talk to an attorney and find out the most accurate and correct information for your state. If you start pushing back the paternity test, it will look bad for you. Your best bet is to contact an attorney.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.