shouldnt my kid be allowed to make up a test? he missed his spelling test last week cause he was sick

he was throwing up constantly so we kept him home and now the teacher wont let him make up the test and its the last one of this quarter. he is in first grade...im so frustrated i dont know what to do.

gothmama91

Asked by gothmama91 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Is the teacher going to count is at a zero, or just figure his grade without it, like based off 9 tests instead of 10? That's what I did when kids missed tests when I was teaching. It's much easier than trying to do a make up test.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I would go to the principle and explain the situation. If you took him to the doctor get an excuse for him for that day.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:47 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I'd say go to the principal. Was it an excused absense? Will it really affect his grade?
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If there was not a doctors note to excuse the child, then more then likely the child will not be able to make it up. That is the general rule of thumb for schools. If there is no doctors excuse there really is nothing that can be said or done about it. Honestly, it is one spelling test the child will have hundreds more through out school.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• it was excused and yes it will affect his grade, and besides he studied really hard for it, i dont want him thinking its ok to blow off stuff cause you are sick or its inconvenient . we asked her to call back several times to set up a time that works for whether it be b4 school during recess or after school. she hasnt returned any of our calls and just left a note on the new spelling list...
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• What a wench! A first grader? Come on! Any time my son (now in 2nd grade) missed school, he got a stack of make up work. So why not let him take the spelling test? If it will be affecting his grade and he has an excused absence, the teacher has NO reason to deny him taking the test. Go to the Principal's office and ask what the deal is. Even though you may want to slap the teacher, try to be nice and tell Principal how concerned you are about it affecting his grade. Sounds like a teacher on the rag to me....:) Hope you get it worked out.

Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• That's wrong. He couldn't help being sick. Would the teacher prefer he came to school sick and spread his germs to her and the class? Talk to the principal.
    Anonymous

• Do you have the teachers email, if so email her to remind her. (our school gives us all the teachers school emails)
    Maybe she won't be counting it towards his grade,since it was an excused absence. My son has teachers that do this, but he is a Freshman in High School. Like another poster said she may count say 9 tests for his grade instead of 10.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Will it count as a zero or will it not count at all?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• thats funny cause he did have make up work sent home on friday to have due back monday(today) but yet wont allow him to make up the test.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009