Should I go to the ER?

I don't want to be one of those people who come on here for advice but I am torn.

My 6 month old son rolled off the couch today about 1 hour ago when I got up to grab his boucny seat. I called his doctor and he told me to just watch him.

I am feeling really nervous like what if something is wrong but we don't see it and he is ok for now.

What should I do? Should I go to the ER or just watch him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Follow the doctor's instructions. Kids take a lot of tumbles. Their tougher than they look.
    Anonymous

• Just watch him. You will know if something is wrong. Did your Dr tell you what to watch for?

It is hard as a parent see that and not want to protect our babies or worry. My daugther (2yr) would get running so fast and fall outside. She fell once on teh cement got a big googse ege on her head. She was just fine. But I sure worried all night long.

Anonymous

• Breathe woman, breathe!!!! He's going to be fine. Babies fall all the time and are fine. What you need to watch for is sudden sleepiness, can't fight the urge to sleep, eyes rolling into the back of the head, hard time focussing, swelling and redness around where he hit his head. Next time put him on the floor when getting something out of reach. You are still a good mom!!! I swear!!! GL , BW!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• A fall off the couch for a 6 month old would not usually warrant a trip to the ER. Maybe if he hit his head on a hard/sharp corner when he fell, but just a roll of the couch onto the floor should not seriously injure a 6 month old. I think most kids around that age (6-9 months) fall off a couch, bed etc. at least once!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• He may have bumped his head on the bottom of the coffee table. I don't know because my back was turned. I heard the thud on the table but it could have been his arm or head hitting the table.
    Anonymous

• Really....... babies bounce. IF he isn't glassy eyed, vomiting or being very lethargic, he is fine.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• You really will know if something is wrong...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:22 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• EVERY mom goes through this, and I assure you, if something were really and truly wrong- You would KNOW it in a hurry. he would not be able to focus on you, would vomit, or have a hard time breathing, would not be able to hold his head up, or eyes open and try to go to sleep.

Did he cry after he fell? if he did have a good long hard cry, likely he is FINE. it is when they do not cry that you should be worried. he may have a little goose egg where he hit his head, and if he does put a bag of frozen peas on it (best ice pack EVER!), he'll be ok!

now that he is rolling over, just make sure he is either strapped into something, or on the floor when you need to do something... lesson learned. it happens to us all at some point, don't beat yourself up about it! anyone who says differently is telling a lie. just give him hugs & kisses, its alright. BREATHE DAMMIT!!! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Are his pupils the same size? If so, just watch hhim. My son did the same thing and then he once fell out of the stroller onto the cement head first. Babies bounce, he'll be okay.
    Anonymous

• Did he vomit? that's a sign of concussion
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009