Does your 2 year old do this?

My son is in a toddler bed and he just started getting out of bed early in the mornings at 3, 4, 5 or so and getting in the bed with me and my husband. How can I put a stop to this before it becomes a habit? Has your child done this? Is it a phase? What can I do about it?
P.S. He can open the door himself

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i bought a baby gate and put up at his door way. keeps him from getting up and wandering the house...in case i don't wake up.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• tntmom he's 2.5, he can climb over the gate. I dont know what else to do. I have been turning out all of the lights, even unplugging the christmas tree, and turning the light off on my fish aquarium so he can't see to get back there, but I don't know if that is such a good idea either... he could get hurt coming back there but maybe he wont because he can't see, it worked last night so we will see...
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Just consistently put him back in bed and tell him it is still bed time when he comes to your room. Yes?
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i agree with SandraB383. or, put one of those door handle locks on the inside of his room and use a baby monitor so you can hear him. even at almost 4 my son cant get a grip well enough on those locks to open the doors. im talking about the ones that go all the way around the handle. and if you dont have the round door handles, look around, im sure there are some out there to use with the different door handles they make now a days. good luck momma!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• We dont have door "knobs" ours is more like a handle. And I can't lift him and put him back to bed IF I wake up. I am pregnant now so I sleep hard cause I am so exhausted. *Sigh* I will figure something out. And his daddy sleeps hard so there is no waking him up and getting him to do it. And even if I did get him to wake up he would just look at me and go back to sleep. He says he don't remember me waking him up at night. Oh well.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Well, yes lots of young children do this....It isn't harmful or bad if you don't mind it! So, if you sleep though it there is no rule that says you have to do anything about it! I wouldn't lock him in his room or anything like that. If you do wake up, put him back in his bed. That is all I would do.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Agreed, continue to put him back. It will be tireless for the first couple of nights, but it will be worth it. If you don't stop it now, you may end up with a co-sleeper. My 2 1/2 year old started climbing out of the crib about 2 months ago.. and can open the door himself also. We just put him back, constantly... But it will pay off when he goes to his twin bed.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Go to toys r us they have locks for the lever door knobs we have the lever knobs and have to get those kind of door knob locks to keep our daughter out of stuff
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:41 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• They make extra tall gates that your son would not be able to climb over. In fact, I checked out this website that has ALL kinds of gates. Granted, they're meant for dogs, but would work equally well for a child.

www.drsfostersmith.com 

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• My Dd started doing this, and she and I need our sleep :-) I work full time, so I got the door knob locks, and she woke up two times after that and hasn't done it since, this was two months ago, I also have a monitor so I can hear her even breathing and I also wake up around 2 am and check on her.
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009