Would you switch?

In one of my groups a mom was complaining about not liking her pedi, but she couldn't switch because her ins only covered the one pedi. I'm sitting here thinking "um... I'd pay out of pocket to see a dr I trusted rather than continue to see one I didn't"

DanosGirl

Asked by DanosGirl at 5:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Not everyone can afford to pay out of pocket....with a young child that can really add up! I would travel further to see a doctor I liked over one I didn't but I am not sure I could commit to paying out of pocket. Is there anyone she could see who is a little further away? Is there any other option for insurance for her?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:44 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Ive never heard of insurance paying for only ONE,limited docs yes but not only one. If I didnt trust my kids pedi I would be gone right away.
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 7:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I guess there is only 1 pedi in her county and her ins won't pay outside the county.
    DanosGirl

Answer by DanosGirl at 8:45 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If she doesn't like the pedi that much, yet can't go elsewhere for another pedi b/c of insurance, then she should consider looking into a family practioner. These docs treat all ages, including infants, toddlers and older children right on up to adulthood. By choosing to use a family practioner, she may have more choices available to her, plus she would also gain continuity of care for her child b/c she wouldn't have to change docs as the child grows up. And, if she likes the doc well enough, she could switch the whole family to him or her for "one stop doctoring".
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I think you are being judgemental of a situation you have not been in. It's not that easy to just "pay out of pocket" for many people.

I agree with a pp about maybe suggesting her to try and see if her insurance would cover a family practice doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I changed pedi's even thought ins didn't pay bc I'd much rather go to a good doctor.
    Anonymous

• Not everyone can afford to pay out of pocket . When I had a threatened pregnancy (that ended in a miscarriage), my ins would only allow me to see someone they 'approved' of and on their list. Out of the 20 ob/gyns in my city there was only ONE that my ins covered, thankfully she did accept new patients and I could get in to see her. Otherwise I would have had to drive 1hr away to see an 'approved' ob/gyn. There is NO WAY we would have been able to pay for all that (5 ultrasounds, daily office visits, 18 days of blood draws/labwork) out of our own pocket
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 23, 2009