Does Mirena cause ovarian cysts??

My friend has been on Mirena for many years and she recommended it to me. She started having severe pain in the abdomen and the ultrasounds confirm large cysts on both ovaries. She said she was told that this was NOT a side effect of Mirena by the dr.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• yes i can be a side effect of mirena..thats what happened to me and it burst. After that i started having abdomen pain, that they couldn't determine the cause for and I had the iud taken out and the pain stopped almost immediately.

it is definately a side effect...numerous docs told me that
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• One common problem experienced by Mirena users is the development of a cyst on the ovary. About 10% of women using Mirena will develop an ovarian cyst. These cysts may disappear on their own in a month or two. However, cysts can cause pain and sometimes will need surgery.

http://www.mirena-us.com/mirena_right/safety_with_mirena.jsp

http://www.contracept.org/iud-mirena.php

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• They won't take her iud out.
    Anonymous

• All birth control pills have hormones and other nasty chemicals. use a condom and go natural. i dont like toxins
    Anonymous

• she has the right to have it taken out if she wants to. they cannot tell her they wont take it out. yea they may not want to put another on in but they cannot tell her no i am not going to take it out.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• mine doc didn't think it was a great idea to have it taken out...it costs 500 buck to put it in....and they weren't convinced it was the cause of the pain.

I told them thanks for your imput....now take it out please or ill find someone else to.

They took it out and my pain went away.

only problem now is getting pregnant again.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009