migranes while pregnant?

Im 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant... The past few days I've been getting awful migranes. I used to get them when I was younger...Then they just stopped for years and all the sudden theyre back... I was heavier back then and of course now... Could it be the strain on my body? How do I deal with them? I used to be on prescription meds(imatrex) for them... I have a Doc appt tomorrow but im getting one now and theyre awful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my neurologist put me on calcium, magnesium and zinc supplements bc i didnt want to go on topamex since i was trying to get pregnant. these are definately pregnancy safe. good luck
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 6:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• It could also be dietary and you don't realize it. Also I have had friends go to the acupuncturist and be cured of migraines and allergies etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i had horrible migraines while pregnant. they would hurt so bad i'd throw up. ask your doctor for some pregnancy safe medicine. you could try cold cloths on your forehead too.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 7:07 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i also agree w truealaskanmom. and if not acupuncture, chiropractic work has been known to give great relief.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• You may want to have your blood pressure checked. i have been doing the same thing for weeks. I use to get the migraines when I was younger and then they stopped and about 3 weeks ago they came back. The dr said that he would keep an eye on them because of preeclampsia but everything came back with the tests as being fine but my blood pressure has been extremely high. And it wasnt high until I started getting the headaches so they said that it may be my blood pressure causing the headaches. Which he said seems how I dont have preeclampsia he said that it is probably just the strain of getting ready to have the baby. Do you see spots or stars when you have the headaches? They said that if i had that to make sure I am seen. And I am past my due date now. I have been in the hospital 3 times in a week and a half. So if you are seeing spots or vomiting from the headaches you may want to be seen
    deliamomma09

Answer by deliamomma09 at 2:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• Do you keep a food diary? Some common migraine trigger foods are: nitrates (like in cured meats), vinegar, chocolate, cheese, tree nuts, MSG/HFCS. You may want to work with a nutritionist/dietician, or on your own, to structure an elimination diet to try to determine if you have any migraine trigger foods.

You may also have a magnesium deficiency or a spike in your blood pressure.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2009