Do you think its wrong to say x-mas instead of christmas?

DH and I drove past a church today and on the billboard outside of it, it said "X-mas is Christmas without Christ"

Do you think this is true?

I think its just something else for people to complain about. I admit I will spell out x-mas only because its easier, but I usually dont say it. Even if I did.. It has nothing to do with taking Christ out of Christmas... What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that is silly xmas is an abbreviation it has nothing to do with taking Christ out of the holiday. Now saying Happy Holidays is taking Christ out they need to complain about the real issue and stop being dumb.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Well, yes definitely. CHRIST is in Christmas whether someone wants to believe it or not. Otherwise, just called it "mas"! LOL!!!
    Anonymous

• look up the historical reason for the X in Christmas, it is the Greek origination of Christ
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I always thought it was an abbrv., but I don't truly know the history behind it.
    mamasarias

Answer by mamasarias at 7:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• If people would only research the history of the "X" they'd save their offense for something worth it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Personally I'm jewish, and if I got upset everytime Hanukkah was spelled a way I didn't like it would be a long holiday!
    i don't see the big problem either. I used to work in a photo lab where needles to say, the winter holidays was busy! I didn't have time to write out 'Christmas cards' vs 'x-mas cards' everytime!
    Someone there told me that the boss was going to tell us all to not do that, to not take christ out of christmas- I said that if that's all it took to affect someone's holiday badly, they needed to re-examine things.
    Seems nit-picky to me!
    I'd like to hear from people why it's such a issue. I would find it strange if someone put in on a Christmas card or the like, but other than that, I don't understand why people get so upset.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 7:08 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i type out xmas instead of christmas because it's easier. it's nothing to be offended about though. the church is right xmas is christmas without christ. they are a church so naturally they come up with something clever for the holiday.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it takes Christ out of anything. Even theharinazi uses it when she says xtian. We know what it means.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• LMBO!! ^^
    "you like me! you really like me!" hahahaha!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• People who complain about xmas are woefully ignorant of the history of their own religion. While it's not surprising, it is very sad.
    Anonymous