first time cooking Christmas dinner- how do you cook a ham?

This is mine and my husband's first Christmas together (yay). I have never cooked a ham before but am planning on buying a small precooked ham and seasoning it at home. I have the turkey taken care of-he invited his single friends over so I need to make more than what I would to feed just the 3 of us. So what do you put on your ham? I have heard of sprite and pineapples. Do I wrap it in tinfoil or anything? Do I bake it on a cookie sheet? I am so lost! Thanks :)

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Easiest thing to do would be buy the already seasoned one that comes with a glaze. The you dont need spices etc, but adding pinapples to the pan can hurt and ham and pineapple is YUMMY! Any decent ham will have the cooking instructions on it, more like heating instructions if its precooked. As long as you dont over heat it youll be all set. Good luck!! Its much easier than it seems!
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 7:32 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Thanks :)
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• i put honey, mustard, and pineapples our that all over the top... if you want it to be a little more sweet you can add cherries and or brown sugar...... as for heating..... read the package because some are already cooked and some are raw some are part of the way cooked
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 9:51 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Cook it in a roasting pan or you will have a huge mess! You can put maple syrup or brown sugar on it for a glaze or pineapples and cloves. cover it with foil or just use a big enough roaster to use the cover that comes with it.
    Anonymous

• Precooked hams come boneless, precut, shank, picnic, butt portion. I would go for a pre sliced ham, easy to carve. Always pick the butt portion, it may be a few cents more per pound but has a lot more meat on it then picnic or shank. The spiral sliced hams I thought came with the glaze or a coating. If you go for a regular pre cooked ham that is not sliced, score throw the skin, and make little diamonds. Make a glaze of mustard, brown sugar. Smear it over the ham. Apply pineapple rings to the ham with toothpicks, you can add marishino cherries in the pineapple centers for a festive look. Read directions on the ham, but pork is generally cooked at 325. Do NOT THROW THE PAPER ON THE HAM THAT HAS PRICE AND WEIGHT, like I do. You will be digging in the trash to figure out so many pounds for so many minuetes per pound. Cook in a 13 x 9 inch pan or roaster. No cookie sheet, or you will have a huge mess as previously stated.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:13 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Do not carve ham immediately it has to rest or all juices will run out. Save that ham bone for black eyed peas on NEW YEARS EVE for good luck the rest of the year. Hey good luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• Here is how I do mine:

Combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp dry ground mustard, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Open a can Dr Pepper and let it go flat for about an hour. Put the ham, fat side up (score the fat in a 1.5" diamond pattern) in a roasting pan. Mix just a little of the dr pepper with the dry ingredients to make it like a thick paste. Pour the rest of the Dr Pepper over the ham. Rub the sugar mix on the ham. Bake according to directions on the ham. You may have to cover it because the brown sugar will caramelize.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2009