D&C?

what should i expect? i lost a baby a few weeks ago. It was confirmed with ultrasound. so after even more complications and even trying some meds. my next option is to have a D&C. I am scared. i know they said it is a easy surgery. BUT it is still a surgery. have you ever had one? what is it like? how was recovery? will i be able to do heavy lifting after? at my job i have alot of heavy lifting i have to do. thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2009 in Health

• You need to talk to your dr about some of your concerns. Are you sure you need one? I have had 3 miscarriages and never needed a D&C. Things cleared out naturally.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• First off, I'm sorry for your loss. I agree with PP, please talk to your doctor about this. I have had a miscarriage and got a serious infection because nature did not take it's course and had to have a D&C anyways. A D&C is not bad. It hurts worse to have a baby. You feel feel cramping afterward and be a bit sore but it's nothing that an over the counter pain reliever can't take care of. Again, so sorry for you loss.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I had one after my miscarriage at 12w. My situation was a little different, I had passed a lot, but started hemmorhaging due to some retained tissue. They couldn't stop the bleeding any other way, so I had a D&C. I was put under a general and spent the rest of the night in observation before going home the next day. I went home on a Wed and took the rest of the week of work, by Mon I was physically ready for work. I do some lifting, but nothing too heavy. A lot of my recovery time was due to the loss of blood I'd had before the D&C. Ask your Dr about your concerns, he'll know your situation better and will be able to give you some answers.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I had one done in the dr's office. It took a few minutes and didn't hurt but I bled pretty hard for about 3 days afterward. I didn't feel like doing anything but sleep for those few days. Lifting shouldn't be a problem once you take a few days off.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2009

• I had one done with an ablation two months ago. I had a hysteroscopy, biopsy, D&C and ablation done. Even with all that, I think I was out maybe half an hour. I had a wonderful doctor and anesthesiologist, who kept me from being in pain or feeling sick. I was sore for a bit that day, but I was expecting much worse. I actually felt great the next day. It was a million times easier than I expected.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• i am sure at his point that i do need a D&C. we have taken all other measures. After continuous bleeding. And my hcg still not lowering my Dr decided for me to try the Cyotec. It was supposed to help my body push the remains out. To no avail. My hcg still continue to hover low and rising only a point or two at a time. My dr says the remains is what is causing my body to still produce the hormones. I can opt for the d&c or wait it out and risk an infection. If i chose to wait too much longer and get an infection inside my uterus i may not be able to have kids again or even worse the situation could elevate even more and end up have to have a hysterectomy. I am scared and nervous but i trust my doctor. ty so much everyone for your advice. I am this point waiting to hear from my dr about my blood work from yesterday. he said if they have not gone down since last Thursday we will proceed with the d&c.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2009

• I'm sorry you have to go through this, OP. Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2009